Outlook Disconnecting, won't reconnect until rebooted

Anonymous
2022-07-21T10:07:28+00:00

Starting a few months ago some of our users are reporting that Outlook and Teams disconnect multiple times throughout the day. The only way to fix it is to reboot the machine. They are using Outook for 365 and connecting to a mailbox in Exchange Online. It started with 2 users but more have reported the issue recently.

During the time Outlook & Teams disconnect they do not loose network or internet connection and can open Outlook and Teams on the web.

So far I have tried:

  • Recreating mail profile
  • Disabling cached exchange mode
  • Wiping and re-installing Windows 10 & Office 365

I have listed below the version of Outlook and Window 10 they are using.

Microsoft® Outlook® for Microsoft 365 MSO (Version 2205 Build 16.0.15225.20348) 64-bit

Windows 10

OS build: 19044.1766

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2022-09-20T14:24:05+00:00

Have any of you tried uninstalling Dell Optimizer? Apparently that has worked for some folks in the very recent past. It has not worked for my issue, but ours may be a bad network (our only users having the issue are in one small office). Something to do with it installing ExpressConnect

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-04-26T00:09:30+00:00

    I have several Dell desktops with this behavior but they are not running Dell Optimizer. I have been dealing with this for months. They randomly get logged out of Outlook and it will not take the passwords. It looks like it authenticates, but goes right back to "needs password." I re-imaged one machine and it was good for a few weeks but having the same issue now. A reboot lets the user open Outlook without any passwords needing to be entered. Not all machines on the domain are having this issue.

    What other solutions might there be when Dell Optimizer is not installed?

    We are using Office Home & Business and Exchange Online through GoDaddy neither of which Microsoft supports so I am unable to open a ticket with Microsoft. GoDaddy says to call Microsoft as they are just the reseller. Needless to say, we will break up with GoDaddy at our next billing cycle and get Exchange directly from MS in the hopes of getting some support but the business is too busy this time of year to make that transition so I need to find a way to resolve this. Most users have 3+ emails so webmail is not a viable workaround.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-01-26T14:48:47+00:00

    I have the same problem after swapping mail server yesterday. I load Outlook, it connects to the mail server sends/receives, then I need to reboot my laptop to enable a reconnection. If I exit Outlook it wont reload before a reboot and when rebooting I get a message stating Outlook is still running! Any help would be appreciated. I have resinsatalled Outlook - makes no difference

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-12-06T17:54:33+00:00

    I am having the same issue, custom built PC. not a Dell but still face this problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-11-07T22:47:57+00:00

    I don't have to ask for help once but I felt I had to comment as I have this exact same issue.

    Nothing I do seems to fix it apart from a reboot and I can't seem to replicate it.

    Would be extremely interest to find a fix!

    My machines are custom builds. None are Dell.
    It's on a network of over 45 machines and its the same 2 that keep playing up.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments