The dreaded 0x800CCC0F sending error

Anonymous
2022-07-21T19:36:33+00:00

I am now running Microsoft® Outlook® 2016 MSO (Version 2206 Build 16.0.15330.20260) 64-bit, on Windows 8.1; I had been running the 32-bit version, but I upgraded to 64-bit in an attempt to resolve this error on sending: "Task '[email account] - Sending' reported error (0x800CCC0F): 'The connection to the server was interrupted....' "

My Outlook is configured for two IMAP accounts, both with Google - one is a GMail account, the other is Google Workspace account that services email for my domain (59plymouth.net). Outlook is also configured for a work Exchange account.

A few weeks ago - not sure, but I think after a reboot, and when Windows updates were applied - both IMAP accounts stopped sending. The Exchange account continues to work without issue.

The updates were July updates - 5015874, 50156268, and 50154633. Suspecting these, I backed them out and disabled updates. No luck. I then did the Outlook 64-bit upgrade. NADA.

I'd suspect Google, but my iPhone continues to work without issue for both accounts; so does my iPad (which also talks to my Exchange account).

I'm not sure where to go from here. And ideas about how to further diagnose?

adTHANKSvance,

Dan

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2022-07-24T20:53:47+00:00

    As an aside, what is timeout setting for these accounts?

    <CTRL+ALT+S> --> <Edit> ==> <Select Account> --> <Account Properties> --> <Advanced Tab>

    If you increase the time - does it help any?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-07-24T20:48:31+00:00

    Really wish you had another computer to test this on - the only elephant in the room is Win 8.1 - not that I know of any reason why that should impact anything

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-07-24T20:43:02+00:00

    Windows *was* completely up to date, when the error first appeared; in fact, I had correlated the problem with the three July updates to Windows 8.1. I backed out those updates, but no change; (*sigh*). They're ready to get applied again when I reboot.

    I left 2SV on after I set an app password, to no avail. But Diane's article says my version of Outlook will work fine w/o 2SV and an App PW, so I've since backed them out for both my GWA account and my GMail account.

    I only run Symantec Endpoint, which I temporarily disabled as a test, again, to no avail. I don't have any other AV (e.g., Defender) enabled. The firewall is obviously not implicated, since test messages are sent/returned to my inbox.

    I'll review those other articles, thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-07-24T17:50:34+00:00

    Error 0x800CCC0F,is typically encountered when there is a credential issue with the account - very frequently with Yahoo / AOL / AT&T accounts where the user has not used an <App Password> as the email address for the account in Outlook.

    You've gone though everything I can think of from a trouble-shooting standpoint so the only thing left is making sure that Windows is completely up-to-date.

    This may also seem like an odd-question to ask, but you didn't turn off 2FA on the Google account after you generated the <App Password> did you? (reason for asking is that one user who was encountering issues did so - just covering all bases)

    Outlook MVO Diane Poremsky (the author of the article you referenced) has a variety of articles / reference points on the subject (she is the pre-eminent expert in all things Outlook) which brings the focus back to the <timeout> setting for the account


    Error 0x800CCC0F when sending or receiving email.

    Usually caused by Antivirus software scanning email, but antispam scanners may cause Outlook to return this error as well. Disable the email scanning or increase the timeout setting. Also, make sure your firewall is allowing the scanner software to connect to the Internet.


    as described in

    Common Outlook Outgoing Server (SMTP) Errors

    https://www.slipstick.com/problems/common-outlo...

    Outlook 2016 0x800CCC0F 'The connection to the server was interrupted'

    https://forums.slipstick.com/threads/95290-outl...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-07-24T14:12:46+00:00

    Well, my wife's computer has Word, but not Office; so I don't have another computer I can experiment with.

    ...but I think I've gone down a rabbit-hole anyway. The error reported by the change Google made is 0x800CCC92, not 0x800CCC0F, according to this website:

    Task '******@gmail.com - Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC92): 'Your email server rejected your login. Verify your username and password for this account in Account Settings. The server responded: -ERR [AUTH] Username and password not accepted."

    And since I have the retail version of Outlook 2016, I'm unaffected by this change anyway:

    Users with Outlook 2016 (retail version), 2019, 2021, and 365 won't have a problem when Less Secure Apps is disabled. 

    c:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office16>cscript ospp.vbs /dstatus Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.8 Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. ---Processing--------------------------

    PRODUCT ID: xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx SKU ID: xxxxx LICENSE NAME: Office 15, OfficeProPlusR_Retail edition LICENSE DESCRIPTION: Office 15, RETAIL channel LICENSE STATUS: ---LICENSED--- Last 5 characters of installed product key: 2PMG3

    So this was all for naught; especially considering, that each reconfig of an email service successfully transmits an email to the server.

    So I've got to focus on why my Outlook client is returning an error of 0x800CCC0F - the original subject of this thread.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments