HOW TO Generate a YAHOO APP PASSWORD - standard instructions NOT WORKING!!

Anonymous
2022-06-26T18:40:47+00:00

It seems to be IMPOSSIBLE to generate an APP PASSWORD in order to set up Yahoo Mail in Outlook. I have found all the instructions online but I do NOT find the said options in my Yahoo email account or in My Microsoft account?

I cannot find any clickable command for "generate app password"...i FIND EVERY OTHER OPTION. But Not app password!!

ANy help much appreciated. I seem to have lost my bellsouth email in my outlook!! what a nightmare!

Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Account management, security, and privacy

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

51 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-10-30T13:25:33+00:00

    hi - having same problems. Successfully linked my yahoo email to outlook for many years on one laptop. Tried to do the same on another laptop - no go. Have tried many options without success Thankfully never deleted the old Outlook Desktop App password so its still there somewhere. Thats my question . You state 'There is a way for you to find the one that has been working for Outlook.' I do have a successful password that was generated a year ago - how and where do I find it so i can copy ? ??.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-10-30T17:33:45+00:00

    hi - having same problems. Successfully linked my yahoo email to outlook for many years on one laptop. Tried to do the same on another laptop - no go. Have tried many options without success Thankfully never deleted the old Outlook Desktop App password so its still there somewhere. Thats my question . You state 'There is a way for you to find the one that has been working for Outlook.' I do have a successful password that was generated a year ago - how and where do I find it so i can copy ? ??.

    This just worked for me less than five minutes ago. And I hope it resolves our issues with Yahoo and avoid any in fighting in this thread too.

    1. Go to your copy of Outlook which has a working app generated password for Yahoo.
    2. Go to File/Account Settings/Email Accounts
    3. Select your Repair (your Yahoo account obviously) and choose to repair manually. You can see your existing and working app generated Yahoo password.
    4. Copy it and use that password in another computer,

    It seems Yahoo has a limit of the number of passwords given to a specific app/account nowadays. Regardless, it still worked for me and I am now a happy camper :). And hopefully it will work you too.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-10-31T17:28:51+00:00

    hi - sounds logical and could work. Went into repair and the password was there (asterix so couldnt read it). The password had 16 characters whereas my normal yahoo password only has 12 characters so looking good as the last yahoo app password I tried to generate did have 16 numbers. The problem I now have is how to transfer the password to my other laptop tried to copy and paste to word which I could copy onto a usb and copy and paste again back to my new outlook. Didnt work as I couldnt copy and paste to word. Anyone with any smart ideas how to either allow me to see the password or how to copy it over to my other laptop ??

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-10-31T20:42:59+00:00

    hi - sounds logical and could work. Went into repair and the password was there (asterix so couldnt read it). The password had 16 characters whereas my normal yahoo password only has 12 characters so looking good as the last yahoo app password I tried to generate did have 16 numbers. The problem I now have is how to transfer the password to my other laptop tried to copy and paste to word which I could copy onto a usb and copy and paste again back to my new outlook. Didnt work as I couldnt copy and paste to word. Anyone with any smart ideas how to either allow me to see the password or how to copy it over to my other laptop ??

    Right click the eye icon on the right to show the password. I was able to copy the password and pasted it to an email on Outlook using my Yahoo account and then sent that email to my Hotmail account, I opened my Hotmail account on Outlook on another computer and then used that password to setup my Yahoo account on said computer. I have kept a copy of the password for safekeeping.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-11-01T11:59:24+00:00

    sadly on the old laptop its outlook 2007 and that does not have an eye that allows me to see the password. Tried to copy and paste to an outlook email that i could send to myself but wont allow me to copy - not even sure it copies onto the clipboard.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments