HOW TO Generate a YAHOO APP PASSWORD - standard instructions NOT WORKING!!

Anonymous
2022-06-26T18:40:47+00:00

It seems to be IMPOSSIBLE to generate an APP PASSWORD in order to set up Yahoo Mail in Outlook. I have found all the instructions online but I do NOT find the said options in my Yahoo email account or in My Microsoft account?

I cannot find any clickable command for "generate app password"...i FIND EVERY OTHER OPTION. But Not app password!!

ANy help much appreciated. I seem to have lost my bellsouth email in my outlook!! what a nightmare!

Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Account management, security, and privacy

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

51 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-10-05T08:10:00+00:00

    After a couple of weeks I found the answer, after my desktop Outlook was not syncing with only one of my yahoo emails anymore. Strangely, the other yahoo accounts were still syncing.

    The answers here from HM and CB are indeed correct.

    Here are the full instructions for it. I hope this will stop people from spending many hours trying to fix this issue, like I did.

    Please tick, should it have been helpful, as that will possibly take it to the top of the thread, and hopefully stop people from spending hours of searching and trying, like I did.

    OUTLOOK DESKTOP NOT SYNCING (ANYMORE) FROM CERTAIN YAHOO EMAIL ACCOUNTS

    Generate Yahoo App Password for Outlook

    Go to:

    Yahoo mail

    On right top “your own name”

    Click Just underneath: “account info”

    “account security”

    “other ways to sign in”

    “generate and manage app passwords”

    Generate new app password.

    Type app: “Outlook”.

    It now generates a new app password. (you should copy this and paste it in Outlook, for instructions, see further below)

    If it doesn’t do this, like it didn’t for me.

    1. It could be that you first have to delete the previous app password. (this for me still didn’t make a difference)
    2. If it still does not generate a new app password, do it in a different browser. (You may have to clear the history first, and you may then have to restart the computer, which I did, but it may not be nescesary..!”)

    So: If using Chrome, use Edge (or similar) (and visa versa), then do the above to generate the app password.

    This should work!

    How to import the Yahoo Generated App Password into Outlook:

    Importing the app password into Outlook:

    Outlook:

    (Go into the settings of the email which is not syncing anymore.)

    “File”

    Account information: top of the page, click the account with the syncing issues.

    “account settings”

    “server Settings”

    “Incoming mail:” “paste the App Generator Password from yahoo” under user name.

    Tick: “remember password”

    Click: “outgoing emails”

    Tick: My outgoing (SMTP) server requires authentication

    Tick: Use same settings as my incoming email server

    “next”.

    This should update the password, and start the email account syncing properly immediately.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-10-02T07:13:33+00:00

    Thanks to Choices Books and Gifts and Harborview Marina. After seeing their messages, I was able to resolve this issue as described below.

    In setting up my new laptop, I have struggled with this exact issue for a whole day in vain. When every attempt failed, I even set up forwarding of all my email from yahoo accounts to gmail accounts, etc. After reading CB and HM's messages, as I had been using Chrome the whole time dealing with this issue, I tried switching to Edge, which was pretty much a vrigin at that time. Then Yahoo did generate a new app password for Outlook that worked.

    Lessons learned (from hind sight):

    a. Don't bother to delete the old app password for Outlook and create a new one. There is a way for you to find the one that has been working for Outlook. Just copy and continue to use it.

    b. If you already deleted the app password that has been working for Outlook, the app password will not work anymore. If you find that Yahoo can not generate a new one for you, you may try using a different browser or clean up your browser's cookies/histories in order for Yahoo to regenerate a new one for you.

    Hope this helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-10-01T20:41:03+00:00

    Thank you much for the pointing me in the right direction.

    I was struggling for that last couple of days with the inability to generate app passwords at yahoo.com. I was using Edge. When I finally went to Chrome all worked as expected.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-10-01T16:03:27+00:00

    It seems to be IMPOSSIBLE to generate an APP PASSWORD in order to set up Yahoo Mail in Outlook. I have found all the instructions online but I do NOT find the said options in my Yahoo email account or in My Microsoft account?

    I cannot find any clickable command for "generate app password"...i FIND EVERY OTHER OPTION. But Not app password!!

    ANy help much appreciated. I seem to have lost my bellsouth email in my outlook!! what a nightmare!

    Hi, This just started happening and i couldn't resolve. so i called

    Yahoo Help. 800-361-5610.  I had to pay for "tech support" -$12.99 per month, with free mcAfee and some other services. You can cancel anytime. They will remote into your computer and fix the issue...but here is what they did.

    Go to yahoo.com;  go to account security, generate passwords.  Delete all the old “outlook desktop” passwords that were previously generated (or whichever app you use other than Outlook Desktop.)

    Once deleted, Go to Chrome , the drop will have “clear browsing data”, select that.   Clear - cached images and files; browsing data and and cookies. 

    Then Close yahoo/chrome.  Restart computer. Then log back into Chrome, and your yahoo mail. Go back to generate passwords and get a new password.  

    Use that same password over and over until it doesn’t work.  If you need a new one, delete the old passwords first before you generate a new one. That worked for me today and now my outlook is up and running and receiving all my yahoo mails again. I hope that helps. Thanks, Lisa

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-09-13T13:13:01+00:00

    I have recently encountered this problem when I upgraded my PC.

    Generating And Managing App Passwords is well documented online. The problem is that When requested to enter the App name Yahoo responds with “sorry this feature is unavailable” rather than a drop down list of Apps from which to select.

    I had thought of forwarding my Yahoo mail to another mail address but forwarding is ghosted and not available.

    Yahoo support were equally unhelpful for 10 minutes until I was cut off. I should at this point mention that I do not subscribe to Yahoo Pro.

    Today I did upgrade and was able to forward mail and Generate App passwords.

    The subscription was active for less than 30 minutes. The Cancellation location is not easy to locate either but Yahoo do provide this in their welcome to Yahoo Pro email.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments