HOW TO Generate a YAHOO APP PASSWORD - standard instructions NOT WORKING!!

Anonymous
2022-06-26T18:40:47+00:00

It seems to be IMPOSSIBLE to generate an APP PASSWORD in order to set up Yahoo Mail in Outlook. I have found all the instructions online but I do NOT find the said options in my Yahoo email account or in My Microsoft account?

I cannot find any clickable command for "generate app password"...i FIND EVERY OTHER OPTION. But Not app password!!

ANy help much appreciated. I seem to have lost my bellsouth email in my outlook!! what a nightmare!

Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Account management, security, and privacy

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

51 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-08-25T04:07:05+00:00

    Hey ezpar44

    I know I'm late to this thread but I was having the same issue you were and may have found the workaround. Yahoo must have changed something on their end and it ended up breaking how my bellsouth email plays with my mail app so I've been digging for this password generator and like you it doesn't appear on the yahoo site like it says it's supposed to. As a side note for those who don't know, Bellsouth was an old telecom company that ended up being bought out by AT&T in the early '00s. Their email addresses were taken over fully by AT&T and supposedly then by Yahoo, hence trying to find this password generator through yahoo.

    Even though bellsouth emails should be yahoo now, I actually found this password generator deep in the account settings on the att.com site. Below is how I get to them:

    1. Go to att.com
    2. Sign in using bellsouth account (or other if your bellsouth account is linked to another name?)
    3. Under the "My AT&T" dropdown in the top-right, select "Go to my account"
    4. Under the "Welcome Back", select "See Profile"
    5. Scroll down to "My Linked Accounts" and under the bellsouth email account select "Manage Secure Mail Key"
    6. From there, click "Add a secure mail key", give it a nickname, and use it to login with your email software of choice.

    I would recommend looking up yahoo's imap instructions and setting up your mail app manually since if an auto setup gets something wrong I think you have to delete the key and make another one. I put a picture below of where this setting is and it's url but if the steps above are confusing I can make a more detailed step-by-step with pictures of how I get there.

    Hope this helps

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-06-26T23:00:37+00:00

    >>

    I'm looking at instructions direct from Yahoo site which is now part of ATT

    <<

    Actually I thought Yahoo is now owned by Verizon but m Canadian so don't always keep up with who owns who. Using Yahoo servers doesn't mean they own the platform (as mentioned, my Canadian ISP also uses Yahoo servers)

    People can create a Yahoo account without any ISP being involved (as shown in the screenshot) using the link below. In your case, your ISP is <Bellsouth.net> who uses Yahoo servers for their email services.

    https://login.yahoo.com/

    You will need to contact <Bellsouth.net> support if you aren't able to get to the <App Password> generation function for your email account. The generation of a Yahoo <App Password> is not an Outlook issue. Outlook only requires that an <App Password> is used as the password for the email account.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-06-26T22:38:35+00:00

    Not sure exactly what you mean by "native"...I'm looking at instructions direct from Yahoo site which is now part of ATT...which is where my original bellsouth.net email addr landed after att acquired Bellsouth , etc. etc.

    I'm trying to figure out how to restore my bellsouth.net email to my Outlook which is my ORIGINAL problem. Not sure HOW I lost it as I have had no problem for the last several years with emails being forwarded from Yahoo to Outlook which is my primary email server.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-06-26T21:18:52+00:00

    Is this a native Yahoo account or one from an ISP using Yahoo for its mail services?

    If it's a native Yahoo account - then the Yahoo article has the steps that have been successfully used by a number of people I have replied to.

    If it's an ISP account - have you checked with your provider as to what the exact steps are?

    I'm at a disadvantage since I don't know what you are referring to in regards to

    #1 - my Outlook instructions say...go to Yahoo - Account Info and click on Generate App Password - what "Outlook" instructions are you referring to?

    #2 - I finally did find something under my Microsoft account that is close...looks like "Smart Key" has potential - off the cuff am not sure what exactly you are referring to but seriously doubt this has anything to do with a Yahoo account.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-06-26T21:11:45+00:00

    Pretty much the same...my Outlook instructions say...go to Yahoo - Account Info and click on Generate App Password...hence the problem! there is no option to click on anything close to that command. And believe me, I have searched every conceivable option and it just keeps looping back to the same scenario.

    I finally did find something under my Microsoft account that is close...looks like "Smart Key" has potential but I'm kinda lost in too many passwords right now so trying to manually re set up Yahoo Mail in Outlook. Sometimes I really HATE Outlook!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments