How do I turn off Microsoft Authenticator?

Anonymous
2023-04-16T16:47:36+00:00

Microsoft imposed an Authenticator app on my home outlook. How do I get rid of it?

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-12-05T19:18:08+00:00

    Thanks for the screenshot, Microsoft is seriously f*cking retarded. Can't believe they think they're entitled to force their absurd security settings on my firm.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-12-09T15:24:25+00:00

    This does not work and I have another authenticator as well as two security physical keys setup. What can I do to cvercome this as it opens me up to hacking?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-12-26T15:54:39+00:00

    Having the same issue, and it's completely idiotic. All our users we blocked from logging in to download this stupid Microsoft Authenticator App. The settings for admins are so complicated that it's impossible to figure out what's going on. Why is SMS or Call not enough as an MFA?? Insane.

    Pretty simple. Microsoft has to pay per SMS message sent. The process is really not that bad, and there is also an App for PC and Mac

    Yeah it's simple, but when you are already running 3 different authenticator apps because everyone and their mother has one now for their services, you want to have the choice and freedom to use something you already have. The fact that it's forcing me to use Microsoft's and I can't use my Google Authenticator, LastPass Authenticator or Authy.... kind of a bunch of BS that makes me add one more app I don't really need if they'd just set it up to allow us the right to easily choose our own methods of authentication (SMS, call, authenticator, etc...).

    Also, I don't have an account as large as theirs, but the cost for a single text message with Twilio starts at $0.0079 in my area, and that's with me not having the bulk rate I'm sure Microsoft has. That means they can send 126 messages for $1, so yeah, they can "save money" by having us use their Authenticator.... but keep in mind, now they also have to maintain the app, enhance the app, manage support for issues related to the app, etc... It's a counter-balance point because they're probably spending more on the Authenticator app than the text messages but what it does do is make us reliant on Microsoft, just as Google and Apple have done within their own systems (which is itself an issues as well).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-01-07T13:57:37+00:00

    I did this but the app is not shown in my account. So how do I get rid of it?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-01-11T14:06:41+00:00

    A solution has been found to turn off the Authenticator App but still allow a code to be texted.

    Go to Microsoft Entra Admin Center and edit Authentication Methods under Policies (Yes/No). When I login, I get a menu of MFA options. I then choose which MFA method I want to use (text). The MFA items on the menu will depend on which methods you have selected.

    Problem solved.......finally!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments