How Can i reset authenticator app? I need to reset authenticator app for My lost device

Anonymous
2023-02-21T20:08:42+00:00

How Can i reset authenticator app? I need to reset authenticator app for My lost device

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-12-19T19:19:47+00:00

    I just went through a similar issue. When trying to log into email on a phone or a computer with a browser, I was continually presented with a two digit code to enter into MS Authenticator. When I downloaded the Authenticator app onto the new phone and tried to add the account I was also given a two digit code to enter into Authenticator to verify who I was. Without an accessible Authenticator app I was stuck.

    Solution was

    1. Go to https://account.activedirectory.windowsazure.com/UserManagement/MultifactorVerification.aspx and log in as an Admin
    2. Select the email account that is having the issue
    3. On the right, select "manage user settings"
    4. Select "Require selected users to provide contact methods again" and "Delete all existing app passwords generated by the selected users"
    5. Hit Save

    Once done you can add the account to the Authenticator app and it should no longer ask to to verify with a code.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-11-30T08:15:53+00:00

    hello, i have logged out of my school/university account in my pc and I uninstalled authenticator app. now I can't login my account as it needs authenticator permission and when i tries to login authenticator app it also need permission from authenticator app. now I am trapped i can't even reset this app so that i can add my account from the start with QR code. please help me

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-07-05T16:48:44+00:00

    No that's recommended practice for anyone using an important account.

    If you, or anyone reading this, don't have multiple up-to-date recovery methods in your account you are just playing with fire as you found out.

    If you had 2FA turned on for your account without backup methods, as you've found you won't be able to get back into your account.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-09-19T07:53:28+00:00

    How Can i reset authenticator app? I need to reset authenticator app for My lost device

    Hi there!

    I was stuck with the same problem for a few days and I've searched over the Microsoft forums and others on the internet for a solution - nothing worked!

    I'm the IT guy at my work and a colleague told me that her child somehow...just uninstalled her Microsoft Authenticator app with all her Microsoft work accounts from her phone!!! The reinstallation of the app on her phone didn't work at all: it always required the approval from the previous app that was initially installed on the same phone! And of course: that app had no backup!

    But now I've found the solution! This is only working in the Microsoft Admin Page.

    Here are the steps that works for me:

    1. On the Microsoft Admin Center page click on "Show all..." below Admin Centers
    2. Go to "Identity" and select the user that have lost the access to the initial Microsoft Authenticator app (lost or broke phone, resetted phone etc.)
    3. Right down in the page there is a button "Authentication methods"
    4. Click on "Revoke multifactor authentication sessions" (maybe this step was not necessary)
    5. Click on "Require re-register multifactor authentication".
    6. Click save

    Now logout any sessions of that user and login again from a computer (not phone) and when you login it will require again to set up a method to login with Microsoft Authenticator! With your phone you can scan again the new QR code and the account can be added to the reinstalled Microsoft Authenticator app again!

    Important: ONLY a Microsoft ADMIN account can do the steps above for a work account! It will not work within the user account, in the Security Information section, just only from the Admin Page.

    I wish you a nice day! :-)

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-09-09T17:37:44+00:00

    Just to add to this madness. I recently sold a Pixel 7 Pro and reset the phone and didn't do anything with the authenticator app. I rolled back to a Oneplus 7 Pro which didn't have my current work email attached to the authenticator app and now when I try to add my work email I get taken to my jumpcloud which my work uses, but at every turn I am asked to provide the passcode via authenticator app, even when in the authenticator app it's asking for a code...from the authenticator app and I have no way of resetting anything. I'm going to contact our IT department and see if there is a master reset or something, but man what a pain in the a**.

    https://imgur.com/a/aTxR73t - 4 different places to try and log in and every single one asks for a passcode form Microsoft Authenticator app where I'm trying to link up my account, so I don't have a code... just seems a little flawed that there's no reset or anything. I understand if this also may be a flaw with jumpcloud and not microsoft, but still. Woof. What a headache.

    *Edit 10/3/23 - the IT guy at my work was able to solve this, which I suspected since it seemed like a jumpcloud issue in conjunction with the authenticator app. I am worried if this happens to my personal account. NicolasWade seems to have had that issue below, and it got resolved but microsoft solved it secretly. It would be helpful to go through the steps of how this gets resolved.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments