Outlook quit working with comcast email

Anonymous
2022-04-25T00:59:04+00:00

For over a year, I have received my Comcast email to my laptop using my Outlook 365 app. Never had an issue until this morning. All I got was a 'send/receive error'. When I tried repairing it, nothing worked! I double-checked that the security box as still turned on to allow third party email programs (it was); I 'repaired' the connection using incoming server: imap.comcast.net, port: 993, encryption method: SSL/TLS, outgoing server: smtp.comcast.net, port: 587, encryption method: SSL/TLS. I am getting this error message:

So, I tried the other encryption methods - still would not connect. I have absolutely NO idea why it worked when I went to sleep last night and this morning it does not. I would really appreciate any help.

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-01-09T16:44:26+00:00

    I had the same issue and this was the solution. Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-01-07T20:06:35+00:00

    I suddenly started having the repetitive password prompt problem last week with a brand new computer on which Outlook was working fine. I finally booted up my old computer today, and the same Comcast email account is working with Outlook on that computer, so I knew it had to be a change that was made on the new computer.

    I remembered that my anti-virus software recommended turning on their VPN (and I did) around the same time I started having problems.

    I turned off the VPN, set up my Comcast email in Outlook again, and viola, I have email again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-12-26T21:55:36+00:00

    Thanks. I went through your suggestions. When I added back my Comcast email ID I keep getting prompted for password. So at this point, I don't have a Comcast email ID in Outlook.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-12-24T17:55:25+00:00

    My issue was resolved within days of having the initial problem. I wish I could precisely describe everything I did to correct matters. These are the last steps I took, not necessarily in order, that resolved matters:

    • Confirm that I had the latest Office 365 updates.
    • Close Outlook. I made sure it was closed by restarting my computer.
    • Remove the Comcast account from my Outlook Profile using the old Windows "Control Panel" + "Mail (Microsoft Outlook)". Tip: Windows-key+R, and Open "control panel". Then when Control Panel is open, search for "mail" to find "Mail (Microsoft Outlook)". (There's probably a shortcut to get here. I can't remember what it is.)
    • In the "Mail Setup - Outlook" dialog, select Email Accounts. In "Account Settings", remove the Comcast account. And Close.

    When that was finished, I probably restarted my computer again. Then I started Outlook 365 and added the Comcast account with the default settings. NOTE: I may have added comcast back using the "Mail (Microsoft Outlook)" dialog.

    It may be that I'm just lucky that my comcast account is on a compatible server at Comcast. But everything seems to be working fine now.

    Hope this helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-12-23T21:33:06+00:00

    My comcast email does not exist at outlook.com. It will not let me create it either. Only hotmail.com and outlook.com. My comcast email works fine from my iPhone and when logging on to it on xfinity.com. I spent another hour on the phone with Xfinity yesterday with the promise a "dedicated" technician will came back in 15 minutes. 24 hours later still have not heard from them.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments