Why do I continue to get so much spam in my hotmail account?

Anonymous
2023-03-31T18:52:00+00:00

Does MS get paid for delivering junk email? I get hardly any spam (like almost 0 per week) in my Gmail account, but in my Hotmail account, which is as old as my Gmail account (like 25 years), I have at least 50-100 a day, many of which come directly into my Inbox. The junk filter is just a joke as it filters wanted email and does nothing for spam. Is there any solution for this other than to not using hotmail?

Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Account management, security, and privacy

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-11-27T22:21:42+00:00

    Well I am a tech savvy person, having worked most of my career in IT (and sadly as such kind of a MS fanboy) and so it seems apparent to me that Microsoft is either 1) unable/unwilling to address the issue due to how their systems are architected/operating 2) are getting kickbacks from spambots or 3) don't care about their users.

    I've been complaining about this issue for years and have never seen a serious attempt by MS at addressing the issue. They always reply with the same old weak suggestions, like have you tried to set the rules and filters, blah blah blah. Man, I've been using Hotmail for 25+ years and it's insulting when they say that to me. Come on Microsoft, do something about this issue!

    Was this answer helpful?

    30+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-11-27T22:06:13+00:00

    I was so effing annoyed I went on X aka Twitter and posted publicly to @Microsoft of my frustration at their lousy help. It got there attention immediately. I'm now writing back to them but again they always ask the same annoying questions of whether or not I'm marking spam, blocking or making rules. How many times do I have to tell the stupid assistants I'm doing all that. The only thing I can't tell them is what subscription I'm using because I don't know what that means or where to find out. Forgive me I'm an old duck of 64, not the most tech savvy but better than some I know of the same age lol.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-11-27T01:15:15+00:00

    Same here, I think they just pushing Hotmail users to their other services.

    I asked a few friends using Hotmail, they are having the same issue.

    it starts early this year.

    So I don't think it is a bug, they definitely did it on purpose.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-11-26T01:39:06+00:00

    They won't be of any help. I think Microsoft has an issue that they can't do anything about. Maybe Microsoft should get help and stop hiding from this b***s*** they can't fix. My daughter got a new laptop for work and uses Outlook. She's inundated with spam and doesn't email family or use websites to cause this. What the hell is going on!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    9 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-11-26T01:34:40+00:00

    Hey Michael, couldn't agree with you more. Nothing helps with the overkill of spam I'm getting in my hotmail. I've used the rules perfectly and the same s*** keeps coming. All the advice on the net also shows outlook site to work on but my hotmail site is completely different. It also doesn't help when I'm no tech expert at 64yrs. However, I do follow the steps to the letter but they're useless. The help for Microsoft is useless. Gmail does not have these issues. My daughter recently got a new laptop with outlook and she is suddenly getting all this spam and she hasn't even been on websites to cause it. It's just no making any sense at all. The spam block on Microsoft is a dud. Cheers Denise

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments