Why do I continue to get so much spam in my hotmail account?

Anonymous
2023-03-31T18:52:00+00:00

Does MS get paid for delivering junk email? I get hardly any spam (like almost 0 per week) in my Gmail account, but in my Hotmail account, which is as old as my Gmail account (like 25 years), I have at least 50-100 a day, many of which come directly into my Inbox. The junk filter is just a joke as it filters wanted email and does nothing for spam. Is there any solution for this other than to not using hotmail?

Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Account management, security, and privacy

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-02-08T17:25:34+00:00

    I think for me that's the most maddening part - I mean I just need to set up junk filters and they'll be whisked away out of my Inbox and into the Junk folder, right? Well, as you've also seen, I find junk in my Inbox, real mail in junk (or Trash), etc. I think when you have rules and filters you expect them to work, as they do with almost any sort of email (or software) system. When they don't, it feels like betrayal, as you realize you've spent all this time setting up rules for nothing.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-02-08T09:01:39+00:00

    It wouldn't surprise me at all. If only someone would come out and spill the beans. I would love to see MS s**t themselves when all their customers hear about it. It truly is insufferable to get rid of the spam. It's bad enough when it's in the junk file but now it's in my inbox everyday. MS tell us to block and report, which we're all doing and nothing changes. I even set new rules with the ones that don't show their email address but nothing stops it. The spammers just quadruple their junk. And this is where it becomes just too time consuming, my time is more spent trying to rid the damn spam than it is reading my real emails. I'm really sick of the dishonesty coming from MS about why they can't stop it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  4. Anonymous
    2024-02-08T03:04:21+00:00

    Yeah I agree, MS obviously doesn’t care about its email users - maybe by design, maybe not. I’ve been a Hotmail user for over 25 years but I applaud your efforts to move to Gmail. I too have a Gmail account and a Yahoo account and am seriously considering going down the same path, as spending so much effort on a daily basis, just on dealing with junk e-mail is ludicrous.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-02-08T02:40:16+00:00

    It's clean that MSFT does not care about you or your email. I've been using my MSFT account for 20 years and it's time to say goodbye and slowly migrate to Google. It will be a painful 1-2 year process, but I can't go on spending 10-15 minutes a day just deleting spam/phishing stuff.

    The sad thing is that I've tried to be a good citizen and always mark them as junk or phishing, but clearly MSFT technology is not good enough to do anything with that information, as I get the same junk subject line dozens of times in a day.

    The last 3 days have been the straw that broke the camel's back...

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments