Why do I continue to get so much spam in my hotmail account?

Anonymous
2023-03-31T18:52:00+00:00

Does MS get paid for delivering junk email? I get hardly any spam (like almost 0 per week) in my Gmail account, but in my Hotmail account, which is as old as my Gmail account (like 25 years), I have at least 50-100 a day, many of which come directly into my Inbox. The junk filter is just a joke as it filters wanted email and does nothing for spam. Is there any solution for this other than to not using hotmail?

Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Account management, security, and privacy

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-01-11T23:00:39+00:00

    Hi Jill, I am the same, have had my outlook account since I first had and email account. Way too much to have to change it. I don't understand why Gmail never has the issues! I got on Twitter and complained, it got there attention but they really can't fix the problem. I think though, Twitter is the loudest platform to complain on and if you have an account do it too. People have to be loud about this, it's not good enough. Lots of people have to complain on Twitter, I think it's the only way to be heard.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-01-11T20:46:53+00:00

    Hi Mark, by blank I'm guessing you mean no email address? If this is what you mean then yes there's no blocking them. This is where it's get technical and very time consuming. Microsoft advice to this is to use the Manage Rules section. I have done all this, found the message source and made a rule to block that address and still nothing works because the spammers just keep changing their sender address. How to do this is click and highlight but don't open the spam email, right click on this particular email and scroll down the list to the word View, hold your cursor on this and to the right is 3 selections, click on View Message Source. This is where it gets really technical because what it opens up is lots of computer jargon, interesting but beyond my comfort zone lol. Scroll down slowly until you see your email address and under this is the message address. This is the address you can copy and paste into a new rule but no matter how many times you do this the spammer will find another address to use. This is where Microsoft is failing badly. It should be stopping all this before it even gets to our Outlook server.

    Hey Denise!

    Thanks for the advice. So I did see the sender's domain address. I typed this domain address into an online spam checker webpage, and the result is 98% valid spam domain. I tried to block the sender but the block list is full :D It won't add it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-01-10T23:31:33+00:00

    Hi Mark, by blank I'm guessing you mean no email address? If this is what you mean then yes there's no blocking them. This is where it's get technical and very time consuming. Microsoft advice to this is to use the Manage Rules section. I have done all this, found the message source and made a rule to block that address and still nothing works because the spammers just keep changing their sender address. How to do this is click and highlight but don't open the spam email, right click on this particular email and scroll down the list to the word View, hold your cursor on this and to the right is 3 selections, click on View Message Source. This is where it gets really technical because what it opens up is lots of computer jargon, interesting but beyond my comfort zone lol. Scroll down slowly until you see your email address and under this is the message address. This is the address you can copy and paste into a new rule but no matter how many times you do this the spammer will find another address to use. This is where Microsoft is failing badly. It should be stopping all this before it even gets to our Outlook server.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-11-28T01:27:00+00:00

    I got really annoyed with the same old same old lame suggestions that I get from Microsoft so I got on X aka Twitter and had them responding immediately with guess what? Same old same old advice. Wanting to know what subscription I have ( which I have no idea) but if all you guys are getting the same issues then the subscription is irrelevant. Today I have 52 spam emails with National Casino in the subject and this is one of the many I made a blocking rule marking both header and subject and still they keep coming. Is Microsoft failing, should we be trying to contact Bill Gates or Paul Allen or the CEO of Microsoft to get our point across!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-03-31T19:30:34+00:00

    Hello! My name is Mustafa, I will be assisting you today

    Note: This is a user-to-user support forum and I am a fellow user who doesn't work for Microsoft.

    The best way to deal with spam emails in Outlook for the web is to create rules to remove unwanted emails or block all unknown senders. You can learn how to do it in this article:

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/bloc...

    It will take a few minutes to set up multiple rules or to block all unknown senders.

    Please let me know if this doesn't work or if you need further assistance.

    Warm Regards,

    Mustafa

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments