Why do I continue to get so much spam in my hotmail account?

Anonymous
2023-03-31T18:52:00+00:00

Does MS get paid for delivering junk email? I get hardly any spam (like almost 0 per week) in my Gmail account, but in my Hotmail account, which is as old as my Gmail account (like 25 years), I have at least 50-100 a day, many of which come directly into my Inbox. The junk filter is just a joke as it filters wanted email and does nothing for spam. Is there any solution for this other than to not using hotmail?

Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Account management, security, and privacy

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-07-31T22:47:49+00:00

    It'd been happening to me as well. I've had my hotmail account for 20 years. The amount of junk email I have been receiving daily is increasing the past few months, it's about 50 per day, sometimes more. Mostly goes into my junk folder but it is such an annoyance and a big concern for me.

    For a while I reported and blocked every single one of them, made no difference. I receive a lot of emails starting with preview@..., they seem ads but a lot of them.

    Next step, I changed my junk email setting to Strict to receive emails only from safe senders and domains, still made no difference.

    Then, I created a rule, emails containing "preview" in the email addresses to be deleted, nothing.

    People say, but they go to the junk folder, and? I still have to go through them and save the emails that are not junk so I don't lose important emails.

    This is not acceptable. Microsoft should be addressing this issue and providing protection to account users. Why I cannot change my setting to put certain junk emails directly to the deleted folder?

    There is no issue for people who use apple computers, no junk at all. My gmail account doesn't receive junk emails but I don't use that account. So I can't really tell but I hear it's not an issue.

    Microsoft, please address this problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-12-07T15:25:27+00:00

    I plan on blocking the entire @hotmail address today under junk options.

    It's rediculous.

    And its not advertising - most of the spam is infected, with seemingly arbitrary names.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-11-28T01:32:55+00:00

    Hi Danbo, perhaps we have to find some way to get Bill Gates attention. Or whomever is high up in Microsoft to listen to us. The best way to get them to noticce you is on Twitter or X. If you have an account start complaining to them publicly to @Microsoft. They responded to me immediately but just with the same b**s*** questions and advice however, if suddenly a lot of unhappy users are appearing on X I'm sure that'll shake things up. Denise

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-11-27T22:06:13+00:00

    I was so effing annoyed I went on X aka Twitter and posted publicly to @Microsoft of my frustration at their lousy help. It got there attention immediately. I'm now writing back to them but again they always ask the same annoying questions of whether or not I'm marking spam, blocking or making rules. How many times do I have to tell the stupid assistants I'm doing all that. The only thing I can't tell them is what subscription I'm using because I don't know what that means or where to find out. Forgive me I'm an old duck of 64, not the most tech savvy but better than some I know of the same age lol.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-03-31T20:02:07+00:00

    Hello, I see,

    I know that there have been a lot of issues with spam protection. If you have tried these and it didn't have any effect then I'm afraid I'm out of ideas. Let's ask other advisors and fellow Microsoft users for other suggestions that might help.

    They would be able to respond to this thread and share their input.

    Your patience will be highly appreciated.

    Regards,

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments