Why do I continue to get so much spam in my hotmail account?

Anonymous
2023-03-31T18:52:00+00:00

Does MS get paid for delivering junk email? I get hardly any spam (like almost 0 per week) in my Gmail account, but in my Hotmail account, which is as old as my Gmail account (like 25 years), I have at least 50-100 a day, many of which come directly into my Inbox. The junk filter is just a joke as it filters wanted email and does nothing for spam. Is there any solution for this other than to not using hotmail?

Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Account management, security, and privacy

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-11-16T14:09:45+00:00

    Hi,

    I know this thread is from March 2023, and it's now November 2023, but I have the same issue as danbo, and it's worse than ever.

    1)

    Whatever build-in tool you try to use, it has absolutely no effect. None whatsoever.

    No matter which words, domains or senders you block, it has no effect.

    2.

    The problem has increased drastically on Live mail. At the same time, it's a complete non-issue on Gmail.

    The way I read this is:

    A) Something can be done.

    B) Microsoft is not doing it (Or are failing miserably).

    As much as I prefer Microsoft over Google, I'm at a point where I'm thinking about dropping my Live mail altogether. I spend so much time reporting and deleting phishing/spam-mail it's almost all I do with my Live mail.
    When I’m at my laptop and using the Outlook client, it’s even more annoying, since it’s my understanding blocking mails is a local client thing, not a server thing.

    With the hope that someone at Microsoft reads this, why are Microsoft not addressing this issue? Why can Google make it work on Gmail, when Microsoft can’t get it to work on Live mail?

    Thanks!

    Michael

    Was this answer helpful?

    70+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-03-31T19:58:59+00:00

    Hi Mustafa,

    No offense, but do you believe I've had Hotmail for 25 years and never done that?

    1. I have, it has literally little to no effect on spam
    2. Why is spam allowed in by default - again I point to Gmail where I never have this issue.
    3. Even for email that I've blacklisted (or whitelisted), it has seemingly very little effect

    thanks,

    Dan

    Was this answer helpful?

    40+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-11-27T22:21:42+00:00

    Well I am a tech savvy person, having worked most of my career in IT (and sadly as such kind of a MS fanboy) and so it seems apparent to me that Microsoft is either 1) unable/unwilling to address the issue due to how their systems are architected/operating 2) are getting kickbacks from spambots or 3) don't care about their users.

    I've been complaining about this issue for years and have never seen a serious attempt by MS at addressing the issue. They always reply with the same old weak suggestions, like have you tried to set the rules and filters, blah blah blah. Man, I've been using Hotmail for 25+ years and it's insulting when they say that to me. Come on Microsoft, do something about this issue!

    Was this answer helpful?

    30+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-11-26T01:34:40+00:00

    Hey Michael, couldn't agree with you more. Nothing helps with the overkill of spam I'm getting in my hotmail. I've used the rules perfectly and the same s*** keeps coming. All the advice on the net also shows outlook site to work on but my hotmail site is completely different. It also doesn't help when I'm no tech expert at 64yrs. However, I do follow the steps to the letter but they're useless. The help for Microsoft is useless. Gmail does not have these issues. My daughter recently got a new laptop with outlook and she is suddenly getting all this spam and she hasn't even been on websites to cause it. It's just no making any sense at all. The spam block on Microsoft is a dud. Cheers Denise

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-11-27T01:15:15+00:00

    Same here, I think they just pushing Hotmail users to their other services.

    I asked a few friends using Hotmail, they are having the same issue.

    it starts early this year.

    So I don't think it is a bug, they definitely did it on purpose.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments