Using Classic Outlook on Windows for personal email, calendar, and contact management
My solution was to abandon all MS email clients, and move to MailBird. Everything works, and I couldn't be happier.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I've been using the new Outlook preview (the one you enable by toggling the "Try the new Outlook" switch in the main Outlook app for Windows) and I love it. It's so much faster than the main version.
Unfortunately, a few weeks ago I noticed that the inbox had stopped updating automatically. I still get notifications that new messages have arrived, and the icon in the task bar indicates that I have unread messages, but when I look at the Outlook window the inbox shows no new messages. I have to click on a different folder and back to the inbox for it to refresh and show the new emails.
Obviously this make the product basically unusable - I can't afford to risk missing important emails - so I keep switching back to the main Outlook app, each time giving feedback about the problem. Every week or so I switch back to the new Outlook in the hope that the issue has been fixed, but so far it hasn't.
This seems like such a fundamental problem that I can't believe it hasn't been fixed, which makes me wonder whether I'm alone in having this issue. I'm using a work account with Outlook and, to be clear, I don't experience the same issue when I'm using the main Outlook app.
Is anybody else having this problem? Is there anything I can do to fix it or is it a problem with the app itself?
Using Classic Outlook on Windows for personal email, calendar, and contact management
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
My solution was to abandon all MS email clients, and move to MailBird. Everything works, and I couldn't be happier.
I am still having this problem in Nov 2023... Is there a solution now? If so, what changes do I need to make to my settings etc.? Thanks.
Hi PhilipStratford,
You're not alone, I'm also experiencing the same issue. The new Outlook preview inbox is not refreshing automatically. I've also logged a support ticket for this and am flabbergasted this is not fixed as soon as possible. This is basic functionality for an e-mail app. 🤷♂️
Kind regards,
Maarten
I appreciate you taking the time to write all of that. I understand that as the product is in preview for a limited number of users it is to be expected that there will be bugs and missing features. However, I would have thought that the inbox not updating would be deemed a critical bug to be fixed urgently. Since it hasn't been fixed in several weeks, that's why I'm wondering whether this is, in fact, a bug, or an issue that only I am experiencing. It seems very unlikely to me that everybody who is testing the app is having the same problem since, as I said in my original post, it renders that app almost unusable.
Hi
Good day, I want to respond to your query in a positive. I am also facing the same problem and have been noticing that there is no refresh option. Even if it is still in beta, a REFRESH option seems to be one of the crucial basics of such an app. Hope this matter is resolved ASAP.
Regards,
@mgg,
To help investigate the issue (email refresh) can you please submit an In App ticket via (Help, Support)? I asked the team if we are getting cases on this, and they said no current cases on it. I do see posts about this in the forums from time to time, but they might not be opening support tickets to get it investigated.