Outlook: Cannot move the items. The operation cannot be performed because the message has been changed.

Anonymous
2022-05-20T08:11:25+00:00

This message often pops up when I try to move an email to a folder after reading and closing it.  This happens even though I have not changed the message at all other than to read it.  If I select another message and then try to move the original message again, it will work.

I have been getting this problem for years and I am sick of it! everytime I try to tidy my inbox it takes hours because I have to keep moving away and then back to the email.

I know this message pops up in relation to other scenarios but I would like to concentrate on just this one problem as otherwise there are too many off topic answers.

This has been happening for at least 6 YEARS is no-one from Microsoft able to help with this problem?

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-12-18T22:37:10+00:00

    The problem with every solution offered is the fact that this is obviously a design error on the part of the developers of Outlook. Maybe someone from up high in M$ needs to put some heat on the developers responsible for outlook and tell them to fix their mistake.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-12-20T12:25:50+00:00

    I had seen other posts elsewhere that said to uncheck Show in IMAP for important, which did not resolve the issue for me. But when I did so for both important *and* starred, the issue went away. Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-12-26T16:53:10+00:00

    I have the same problem. When I delete the email, I can then move it from Trash to another folder.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-12-29T21:47:36+00:00

    I also am having same issue with my Google gmail and imap. Because of this "cannot move" issue and other time consuming and annoying other bugs, I've seriously considered using another email client. My reluctance to doing so is that I am not sure if I will trade one set of problems with another. Thoughts?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-12-30T13:50:26+00:00

    I agree with you but it's difficult to come up with something. sometimes I think I will get rid of the whole combo. Of course I am also influenced by paying for an MS subscription... Let me know if you come up with something!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments