Outlook: Cannot move the items. The operation cannot be performed because the message has been changed.

Anonymous
2022-05-20T08:11:25+00:00

This message often pops up when I try to move an email to a folder after reading and closing it.  This happens even though I have not changed the message at all other than to read it.  If I select another message and then try to move the original message again, it will work.

I have been getting this problem for years and I am sick of it! everytime I try to tidy my inbox it takes hours because I have to keep moving away and then back to the email.

I know this message pops up in relation to other scenarios but I would like to concentrate on just this one problem as otherwise there are too many off topic answers.

This has been happening for at least 6 YEARS is no-one from Microsoft able to help with this problem?

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-08-24T13:24:31+00:00

    I use IMAP. Outlook does the exact same thing described by Lson5. It is a royal pain.

    Was this answer helpful?

    30+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-08-25T08:25:53+00:00

    This has been going on for three years now - none of the "solutions" work and the workarounds are time-consuming. I repeatedly get this message trying to send a new email from Outlook 365 and it is seriously annoying. It didn't happen before so why is it happening now and what has Microsoft doing about it for three years now?

    Was this answer helpful?

    30+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-11-06T18:28:39+00:00

    I've also had this problem in recent years and haven't found a way to fix it. The workaround is to select another message in the inbox, pause, then select the message I want to move and then drag-n-drop it to the destination folder. This workaround usually works for me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-11-17T05:20:20+00:00

    If this problem still can't be solved, please tell me if your e-mail is IMAP, POP3 or Microsoft Exchange account

    Incidentally, I've only ever seen this issue with non-Exchange mail accounts. I have two IMAP accounts (one of them Gmail) with my Outlook (Version 2210 Build 16.0.15726.20188) 32-bit.

    As a Snr IT Professional with Windows application development experience, it seems to me that whenever an open POP3/IMAP email undergoes a change e.g. when you click on 'Download pictures' or 'Add to Safe senders' then it's rendered as an unsaved message. Outlook then seems to get confused about saving the "changed" message back to the mail file, when it really ought to be a simple process!

    @yuhao - you won't be able to reproduce the issue if it's an Exchange/Exchange Online account.
    I recommend that you try setting up an IMAP account (Gmail, Hotmail etc) and you will be in a better position to see the problem :-)

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-11-17T14:41:26+00:00

    I have the same issue. For those of you have said you have it too, I have a question for you. Are you using a Microsoft email address? This only happens with my gmail addresses I have configured in Outlook. Google and MS aren't the best of partners and often can create compatibility issues.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments