Outlook: Cannot move the items. The operation cannot be performed because the message has been changed.

Anonymous
2022-05-20T08:11:25+00:00

This message often pops up when I try to move an email to a folder after reading and closing it.  This happens even though I have not changed the message at all other than to read it.  If I select another message and then try to move the original message again, it will work.

I have been getting this problem for years and I am sick of it! everytime I try to tidy my inbox it takes hours because I have to keep moving away and then back to the email.

I know this message pops up in relation to other scenarios but I would like to concentrate on just this one problem as otherwise there are too many off topic answers.

This has been happening for at least 6 YEARS is no-one from Microsoft able to help with this problem?

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-01-24T14:31:57+00:00

    Can someone who works for Microsoft please fix this

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-01-15T13:12:39+00:00

    Exactly my same experience. I feel stuck with Outlook and wish I could find an email client that would have better spam filtering, better search and just work without all the extra work.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-01-15T02:35:26+00:00

    I have the same issue. For those of you have said you have it too, I have a question for you. Are you using a Microsoft email address? This only happens with my gmail addresses I have configured in Outlook. Google and MS aren't the best of partners and often can create compatibility issues.

    True for me using Outlook 365 on W10 for my *.gmail.com account.

    Save a draft email. Come back to edit, change it, cannot perform the operation (send). So exit it - still will not save for same reason. Asks to save a copy in the default folder - turns out to be in Inbox. Can be sent from there. Delete copy in Drafts.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-12-30T14:28:41+00:00

    Will do.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-12-30T13:50:26+00:00

    I agree with you but it's difficult to come up with something. sometimes I think I will get rid of the whole combo. Of course I am also influenced by paying for an MS subscription... Let me know if you come up with something!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments