Outlook: Cannot move the items. The operation cannot be performed because the message has been changed.

Anonymous
2022-05-20T08:11:25+00:00

This message often pops up when I try to move an email to a folder after reading and closing it.  This happens even though I have not changed the message at all other than to read it.  If I select another message and then try to move the original message again, it will work.

I have been getting this problem for years and I am sick of it! everytime I try to tidy my inbox it takes hours because I have to keep moving away and then back to the email.

I know this message pops up in relation to other scenarios but I would like to concentrate on just this one problem as otherwise there are too many off topic answers.

This has been happening for at least 6 YEARS is no-one from Microsoft able to help with this problem?

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-03-29T19:33:11+00:00

    NONE OF THESE FIXED MY ISSUE EITHER> Cannot move the items

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-02-18T16:19:49+00:00

    This exactly solved my issues. Thank you Deborah Corr.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-02-17T03:31:48+00:00

    I have 2 gmail accounts set up in Outlook, and it happens in both accounts.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-02-17T03:30:50+00:00

    This is a very painful and annoying workaround...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-02-17T03:29:53+00:00

    The comment about removing 3rd party add-ins helped. It reduced the amount of times this issue happens, but did not eliminate them.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments