Outlook: Cannot move the items. The operation cannot be performed because the message has been changed.

Anonymous
2022-05-20T08:11:25+00:00

This message often pops up when I try to move an email to a folder after reading and closing it.  This happens even though I have not changed the message at all other than to read it.  If I select another message and then try to move the original message again, it will work.

I have been getting this problem for years and I am sick of it! everytime I try to tidy my inbox it takes hours because I have to keep moving away and then back to the email.

I know this message pops up in relation to other scenarios but I would like to concentrate on just this one problem as otherwise there are too many off topic answers.

This has been happening for at least 6 YEARS is no-one from Microsoft able to help with this problem?

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-05-26T21:31:23+00:00

    I can't get any of the fixes to work having tried them all (other than the one to close and reopen Outlook, which is not reasonably possible when it happens dozens of times a day). Wondering if it has to do with how I set up Outlook. My email is a Google Workspace account (hence, Gmail IMAP). My Outlook looks like the below re accounts. Wondering why I have both an Outlook Data File which is empty as well as the one listed for my email account. If this isn't the way it is supposed to be, what's the best way to fix it. Image below.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  3. Anonymous
    2023-05-20T06:03:15+00:00

    I have unchecked all of the IMAPs that appear in my gmail account and restarted outlook, but the "Important" file is still there. I did empty it, but it is still there. Perhaps problem is solved anyway, I will try it out when I receive some more emails i want to file.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-04-18T04:57:05+00:00

    With my IMAP account (verizon.net processed by AOL) I get this message and cannot move an email from the Inbox to a fold if the email is involved in ecommerce. The email may be a receipt for a purchase or even a purchase shipping notice.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-03-29T19:33:51+00:00

    Did you ever find out what to do to fix the issue?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments