Before I reply to you, I tried to search for similar questions in Microsoft community and I came across this: "The operation cannot be performed because the message has been - Microsoft Community
Most of the methods I suggest you try are what I found from the responses below. I'm unable to reproduce your issue on my own computer, so I'm not sure what exactly is causing this problem. But I think they might be helpful, so I listed them here.
In theory, Microsoft 365 should be updated automatically indeed, but in fact I just manually updated my Microsoft 365 to the latest version last week because the automatic update didn't work. That's why I suggest you to check the Office version.
If you haven't tried 1-6 yet, try it. Due to limited conditions and that the post was published long ago, I can't guarantee that your problem will be solved immediately; but it is worth a try.
Also, there's another way: removing third-party add-ins (especially add-ins from Adobe) in File > Options > Add-ins > Manage COM Add-ins(Need to Click "Go"), as the post mentioned above says.
If this problem still can't be solved, please tell me if your e-mail is IMAP, POP3 or Microsoft Exchange account, with the steps how you try (You can record it with steps recorder).