Outlook: Cannot move the items. The operation cannot be performed because the message has been changed.

Anonymous
2022-05-20T08:11:25+00:00

This message often pops up when I try to move an email to a folder after reading and closing it.  This happens even though I have not changed the message at all other than to read it.  If I select another message and then try to move the original message again, it will work.

I have been getting this problem for years and I am sick of it! everytime I try to tidy my inbox it takes hours because I have to keep moving away and then back to the email.

I know this message pops up in relation to other scenarios but I would like to concentrate on just this one problem as otherwise there are too many off topic answers.

This has been happening for at least 6 YEARS is no-one from Microsoft able to help with this problem?

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-12-06T09:44:42+00:00

    Okay so I did this and it seems to have fixed it for me. I use 365 too and this issue has been driving me bonkers.

    When I set up 365 I added four accounts. Added their passwords etc.

    I had already unchecked the 'when a reply modifies the original" and it didn't fix it.

    I went to File>Account Settings>server settings for each account and found I had to-for some unknown reason- re-provide all my account approvals/passwords.

    I then went to File>Account Name and Sync Settings> and UNCHECKED "Purge items when switching folders online"

    On the same screen, I have "Mark items for deletion but don't move them automatically" checked.

    I had previously checked and unchecked every other setting I had to no avail.

    However on sending myself an email using the above combo-I was now able to archive, move, delete or move it about with no issue.

    I am still showing all my labelled/categorised emails set up in Gmail web with no issue.

    I then went to have a celebratory coffee, using choice words under my breath.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-10-05T08:44:38+00:00

    SHame, I have always had those - and many of the other folder/labels hidden but not being able to move a message without moving off it is still a problem...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-10-02T08:47:45+00:00

    Amazing. Thank you SO much for this!

    I had been fighting with this issue for SO many years. Reported countless times to M$ but never a (useful) response, just the usual stuff like we saw in this thread.

    For me it would always happen after saving an attachment from an email then trying to move the original email. Usually clicking another email and then back to the original would work, but worst case I would have to restart Outlook. SUCH a pain.

    Switched those two folders off in IMAP yesterday and no problems since. Fingers crossed...

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-09-15T17:40:59+00:00

    Thank you for your description of the "workaround" which worked for me. Like others on this thread, this issue appeared for me after I switched from POP to IMAP. It appears to be related to reading a message in Outlook (which changes its status from unread to read), but the change in status hasn't been forwarded to the server version yet. It seems to be that switching to another message (or in my case, switching to a message in another folder) "frees up" the message to synchronize between Outlook and server; so that upon returning to message, the message can be moved without the notice.

    Unlike other posts suggest, this appears NOT to be related to Exchange (since I do not have any exchange accounts), but IS related to IMAP.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-08-25T09:17:14+00:00

    I keep seeing this issue, too. I always need to restart Outlook for this, it's terribly annoying and costs a lot of time. It's ridiculous that a problem like this exists and hasn't been taken care of, yet. Microsoft should finally address this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments