Outlook: Cannot move the items. The operation cannot be performed because the message has been changed.

Anonymous
2022-05-20T08:11:25+00:00

This message often pops up when I try to move an email to a folder after reading and closing it.  This happens even though I have not changed the message at all other than to read it.  If I select another message and then try to move the original message again, it will work.

I have been getting this problem for years and I am sick of it! everytime I try to tidy my inbox it takes hours because I have to keep moving away and then back to the email.

I know this message pops up in relation to other scenarios but I would like to concentrate on just this one problem as otherwise there are too many off topic answers.

This has been happening for at least 6 YEARS is no-one from Microsoft able to help with this problem?

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-10-05T08:44:38+00:00

    SHame, I have always had those - and many of the other folder/labels hidden but not being able to move a message without moving off it is still a problem...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-08-14T07:36:23+00:00

    I am another that has had the problem for years. On office 365 via app with about six email accounts all IMAP. Usually can solve by exiting Outlook app, waiting a few minutes and restarting. As others report seems to happen randomly.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-07-26T12:41:13+00:00

    Oh my! Can't believe this worked and the solution ended up so easy to implement.

    Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-06-28T15:58:41+00:00

    I can vouch for at least one case of an Exchange MAPI shared mailbox suffering from this issue. Still trying to identify cause.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments