Outlook: Cannot move the items. The operation cannot be performed because the message has been changed.

Anonymous
2022-05-20T08:11:25+00:00

This message often pops up when I try to move an email to a folder after reading and closing it.  This happens even though I have not changed the message at all other than to read it.  If I select another message and then try to move the original message again, it will work.

I have been getting this problem for years and I am sick of it! everytime I try to tidy my inbox it takes hours because I have to keep moving away and then back to the email.

I know this message pops up in relation to other scenarios but I would like to concentrate on just this one problem as otherwise there are too many off topic answers.

This has been happening for at least 6 YEARS is no-one from Microsoft able to help with this problem?

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2022-05-21T07:47:08+00:00

    Thanks for your reply with so many actions - unfortunately none of them address the issue I have posted about. I think you have misunderstood my original post.

    This error does not concern emails that I create. It is occurring when I try to move an email that I have received. I am trying to move it from the inbox to a folder.

    I am using Outlook 365 which is automatically updated.

    This is not a problem specific to me - many other people suffer from this bug. It is a bug in the software which needs to be fixed. In the long distant past I did your items 7-11, I am not going to do them again because they are irrelevant to this problem.

    I hope this information helps you understand the problem better.

    Was this answer helpful?

    50+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-08-25T08:25:53+00:00

    This has been going on for three years now - none of the "solutions" work and the workarounds are time-consuming. I repeatedly get this message trying to send a new email from Outlook 365 and it is seriously annoying. It didn't happen before so why is it happening now and what has Microsoft doing about it for three years now?

    Was this answer helpful?

    30+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-08-24T13:24:31+00:00

    I use IMAP. Outlook does the exact same thing described by Lson5. It is a royal pain.

    Was this answer helpful?

    30+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-06-22T16:39:38+00:00

    I have the same exact problem. It started when I switched from POP3 to IMAP, same provider. The only difference between before the issue arose and now is that I access this mailbox via IMAP. Also, it is somewhat random: sometimes I look at a mail and it copies fine into a sub-folder, sometimes it doesn't. sometimes I use Reading pane to see the mail and it STILL doesn't allow me to copy (I have not opened the mail, just read it in reading pane).

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-11-17T05:20:20+00:00

    If this problem still can't be solved, please tell me if your e-mail is IMAP, POP3 or Microsoft Exchange account

    Incidentally, I've only ever seen this issue with non-Exchange mail accounts. I have two IMAP accounts (one of them Gmail) with my Outlook (Version 2210 Build 16.0.15726.20188) 32-bit.

    As a Snr IT Professional with Windows application development experience, it seems to me that whenever an open POP3/IMAP email undergoes a change e.g. when you click on 'Download pictures' or 'Add to Safe senders' then it's rendered as an unsaved message. Outlook then seems to get confused about saving the "changed" message back to the mail file, when it really ought to be a simple process!

    @yuhao - you won't be able to reproduce the issue if it's an Exchange/Exchange Online account.
    I recommend that you try setting up an IMAP account (Gmail, Hotmail etc) and you will be in a better position to see the problem :-)

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments