NEW Outlook (20230421002.10) no longer opens attachments in desktop apps when double-clicking

Anonymous
2023-04-28T19:44:45+00:00

The new/pre-release version of Outlook opens attachments (e.g. .docx, .xlsx) in Preview mode only. Besides first downloading the attachment and then opening it, is there a way to configure Outlook to open the associated desktop app when double-clicking the attachment, similar to the old Production release?

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-06-30T18:02:19+00:00

    Also, when you try to save anything now It forces you to save to the cloud. it has been where you had to jump through a hoop first to still save to your computer, now they have removed that and want to force you to save to their cloud where they can charge.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-11-10T20:20:01+00:00

    I have the same problem although it is with any email program, not just Outlook. Any time that I try to open an email attachment, File Explorer opens and I am forced to save the document just to then go back and open the document from File Explorer. Why can I not open the email attachment directly into the app? This is not some obscure file. These are .pdfs, or Excel, or Word files and I have the apps installed to open them. I have also check the file associations in Settings and they are correctly identified. How can this be fixed to allow me to open a file directly into the app?

    Was this answer helpful?

    9 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-06-30T17:53:42+00:00

    Delete Edge, run outlook and set your preferred browser and it will stop. Microsoft will more than likely get slapped for this, just will take a while.

    They want to force you to use edge.

    Was this answer helpful?

    9 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-01-11T13:15:32+00:00

    I agree with all the comments here. This preiew is a waste of time. When I click on an attachment, I want it opened in the native program so I can work on it! the 'new' editor is awful too! All my autocorrect shortcuts for words no longer work. Why did they have to mess with it!

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-12-11T20:57:32+00:00

    The new Outlook preview is un-fortunately causing un-necessary wasted time in my work day. If this is a feature important to the new Outlook, then at the very least add a "Click button" on the preview screen to allow the attachment to port over to the APP of choice.

    The default preview for PDF does not even have the basic zoom function which I need all to often. I use REVU as my goto PDF reader, which I need for at least 60% of the pdf attachments I receive.

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments