'Settings' in Outlook/Hotmail No Longer Opens

Anonymous
2020-05-18T17:08:41+00:00

Hi. All of a sudden approximately 4 days ago, 'Settings' in my Outlook/Hotmail. will not open! When I click on that clog wheel in the upper right corner, the 'Themes' page takes about 45 seconds to load. That's your 1st red flag. Then when I click on 'View All Outlook Settings' at the bottom of that pane, and it goes to Settings Menu, by default it goes to 'Layout'. That loads and loads and loads and loads, but never loads. When I click on 'Junk Email' tab on the menu, it also just loads and loads and loads  FOREVER! It never loads. Even after 10 minutes. What is going on?? It's strange. I would always block the domain of spam that came in. The most effective spam control strategy I've ever found! I can no longer do that! Pisses me off. Here's what I've done so far:

  1. Spoke with Microsoft Support Chat, twice. They've offered no viable solutions. One guy even suggested I back up all my data on an external hard drive and reinstall my OS! ****?? Ummmmm, no. 
  2. Uninstalled and reinstalled Chrome. Didn't work.
  3. Went in to Control Panel/Programs and tried to repair Microsoft Outlook by right-clicking on it and clicking on Repair. It's not listed. 
  4. Went to 'Turn Windows Features On or Off' in Programs. Turned on IE8 and turned off Games and Tablet PC Components (Don't use them. It's extraneous.) 
  5. Cleared cache. 
  6. Ran SuperAntiSpyware and Malware Bytes. 
  7. Ran CHKDSK in Command.
  8. Tried System Restore TWICE to a date prior to this glitch. Didn't work! 
  9. Ran System Repair. 

That's all I can remember.  What is going on?? I cannot be the only one here?? 

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate and have latest Chrome version. (Maybe I should download an older version of Chrome? I thought about that.) 

I'm going to run System File Checker tool today. I'll check back. 

Thanks.

Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2020-05-30T06:19:52+00:00

Interesting.  I have never had any extensions enabled in MS Edge.  Just the same, I did check to see if the Inbox Rules would load in a reasonable time.  Sure enough, things appear to be back to normal.  Time will tell.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-05-18T20:55:36+00:00

    So pleased I found this post.  I also have exactly the same problem, and it has been going on for 5 days now!   Have tried contacting support, but not getting any answers.

    I have also tried incognito browsers, different PC's and different networks, all with no luck.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-05-18T20:21:29+00:00

    I'm having the same issue. Settings on outlook.live.com are not loading (the loading screen is just hanging) or they are loading very very slowly.

    I tried all possible browsers: IE, Edge, Opera, Chrome.

    I tried different OS: Windows 7, Windows 10.

    the problem still persists. it seems the problem is on the server's end.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-05-18T19:47:26+00:00

    >>

    they assured me that if it was on their end, they would have been bombarded with calls and support requests for it. I said that maybe people haven't caught on yet but me?

    >>

    Email and Calendar seemed normal - best guess, only a very small subset of users open Settings. (I only looked because i needed a screenshot to show a user.) While even 1% of the half-billion+ users is still a lot, not everyone would contact support over it.

    S0 - my vote goes for many people haven't noticed it.... but that said, issues like this are usually transient and go away on their own within 24 hours or by mid-afternoon Monday (Pacific time) if they came up on a weekend.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-05-18T19:30:59+00:00

    Hello -

    If you open an incognito window in Chrome, is the menu more responsive?

    Mine was slow last night, but is fast today. The Sync Email page is still a little slow to load - everything else seems ok. The Sync email page was a really slow last night, so it feels back to normal.

    >>

    1. Went in to Control Panel/Programs and tried to repair Microsoft Outlook by right-clicking on it and clicking on Repair. It's not listed.

    >>

    That applies to Outlook desktop software that is installed with Office purchase, not Outlook on the web. It doesn't have a Settings menu.

    Tried Incognito Mode. Same problem. Equally slow and unresponsive. Thanks, anyway.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments