Outlook App for Android does not sync contacts

Anonymous
2019-05-07T17:31:24+00:00

Android contacts app does not sync with my Outlook email account.  I tried 4 different ways.  Each time I ensured Contacts sync is enabled in both Outlook account settings (off by default) and Android Settings\Accounts (on by default).  My account syncs with Android email and Android calendar - only Android contacts is empty.

1.), in Android Settings\Accounts, added my email as an Exchange account.  It successfully syncs with Android mail and Android calendar.  Not contacts - remains empty. 

Removed this account and tried again

2.) Installed Outlook for Android, added my outlook.com address, enabled contacts sync.  Still nothing.

3.) Left account in Outlook and attempted to add it in Android Settings\Accounts -  message "The email address is already connected with Outlook.  Do you want to connect it again with another service?"  I proceeded and chose "Outlook.com" as the service.

4.) Uninstalled everything.  in Android Settings\Accounts, added my email as an Exchange account.  Installed Outlook for Android, added account to Outlook.  Now it shows up in Android Settings\Accounts twice - once as Exchange and once as Outlook.com.  

Within Android Settings\Accounts it indicates "Contacts - Last synced 5/7/19 10:28am".  If I disable and reenable sync, the spinning sync circle appears, as if it was syncing, and then displays a new "Last synced" message.  Yet, no contacts ever show up.

Never had an issue on iOS.  Works perfectly.  My girlfriend's Samsung phone, contact sync works perfectly.  My LG phone, no contact sync.

Clarification - this is not an Outlook for Android issue.  This is a Microsoft ActiveSync integration issue with Android.  It is NOT required to install Outlook on Android.  Contacts, calendar, and mail sync are UNRELATED to Outlook for Android.  If you enter Android Settings\Accounts, you can connect to your microsoft email account via Exchange ActiveSync without ever having installed Outlook.  This is an Exchange ActiveSync bug!

Outlook | Outlook for mobile | Outlook for Android | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

51 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2020-01-30T19:38:32+00:00

    I have also experienced the issue. Contacts slider spontaneously reverts to do not sync, the outlook account vanishes from the people app, no contacts. Pixel 3.

    Microsoft support not great, and problem unresolved.

    I didn't find any of the on line solutions to be effective.

    As others have stated, Nine Folders is a definite Outlook alternative in this situation.

    Reason for posting is that, on a whim, I reinstalled Outlook [version 4.1.13] and EVERYTHING WORKS!!! [So far, anyway]

    I have no idea if Microsoft has really resolved the issue, or if one of the frequent Google updates to the Pixel did something.

    Might be worth others retrying Outlook, as when it works it is a decent app, which I personally prefer to Nine.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-01-08T05:42:42+00:00

    I have same issue however my issue is rather random and inconsistent,

    Infact i am having issues syncing outlook.com contacts to my samsung android phone through outlook app since inception of outlook app for android. 

    during this time i have upgraded to various versions of hardware, android, outlook app and phone contacts apps - nothing has fixed this for ever. 

    during this time I have tried reinstall app, delete cache , restart of phone , readd account, stop sync and reenable sync , contacted support and send numerous logs etc. some time it got fixed temporarily and started having issues again. 

    I have noticed that outlook app syncs contacts in very random and infrequent interval - microsoft hasnt published how and when this happens. hence sometime if you wait for a day or 2 you will find your contact is synced. 

    for workaround i am syncing same outlook account 2nd time with activesync and only enabled contacts sync through that so i dont get email and calendar downloaded twice. 

    I use outlook only for email and calendar purpose. 

    i am very frustrated and have considered many times to move completely over to gmail / google eco system as it native to android.

    perhaps i ll do that soon.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-12-15T18:46:22+00:00

    I had the same issue with two Moto G5s as well as two Amazon Fire tablets. Resetting the account and reinstalling the app did not help. Sync was turned on but only email addresses would show for each contact.

    I was finally able to get version 4.0.85 installed and the problem was fixed. I believe the current version is 4.0.88 and it, too, is working correctly.

    Fingers crossed that this doesn't break again!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-12-15T16:40:54+00:00

    I have the same issue with contacts not syncing on the Galaxy S9. Updated both firmware on the phone today & the latest version of outlook on android. It seems the issue is a Samsung issue https://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s9-s9-plus/968338-sudden-synch-issues-office-365-a.html

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-11-25T16:01:57+00:00

    The outlook for Android app received an update about 1 month ago that fixed an issue with syn ing contacts to the android contacts app. 

    My issue was that my main Outlook account has 3 email addresses (aliases) and the contacts sync switch in settings would turn itself off. 

    I was in contact with MS regarding the issue and it took about 3 months before it was fixed. All good now. 

    I have the latest Outlook for Android on our two identical Moto phones and Amazon Fire tablets. Contacts had been syncing fine but at some point it has stopped on all 4 installs. "Sync Contacts" is on in the Outlook Account info and in the Account sync from Android settings. However, Outlook contacts only show an email address - no phone or mail address or other info.

    I have done an account reset in the Outlook app which didn't help and also deleted and re-added the account. Still have incomplete contact info. The Android Contacts app does have all the info.

    Update: I added a dummy contact in Outlook on the PC and it synced the name and email to my phone but not the address or other info that I entered. So, sync works but not all fields. Oddly, the new contact also synced correctly to the Android Contacts app, including the additional info.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments