how can I block spam from 'appspot.com'

Anonymous
2019-08-24T04:18:07+00:00

I am getting as many as 50 emails a day from appspot.com

the emails come in many forms - examples:

  • ******@bjallthebj.appspot.com
  • ******@facebokmessenger.appspot.com
  • ******@datingnowclub.appspot.com

***and many other versions

I have been blocking them, but think I have reached my limit of blocked senders

MS support states you can have up to 1,024 addresses or domains in the blocked senders and safe senders lists

I have diligently been reporting them as phishing & blocking them daily - but seems there is no remedy?

***is there anything I can do to stop these emails from coming in?

Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Account management, security, and privacy

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2020-02-17T18:08:11+00:00
    1. "Rules" do not work on anything that goes to the junk folder.
    2. "Block" causes messages to be sent to the junk folder.
    3. Blocking a user or subdomain is useless when the usernames change by the minute and the subdomain names change by the day.

    It's ridiculous that you can't stop emails from coming into your junk email folder. You should be able to block senders completely from sending you any email at all, not just allow it to filter into your Junk.

    It's bonkers that I have to add a junk email sender to my safe list, just so I can delete all these emails.

    Come on Microsoft, sort it out!!

    T

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-01-29T00:44:16+00:00

    It seems a lot of the repliers who say "block the domain or sender" do not really know how outlook works. You can't really block a domain at all. Adding it to the "blocked" list CAUSES it to go directly to junk mail. Then we have our Outlook User Problem: our junk mail folder becomes filled with as many as 100 spam messages a day, and that is no exaggeration.

    I don't even have time to scan the titles of the messages to see if any of them are not spam. I can't give anyone my email address because I will never see anything from anybody who is not in my safe senders list. I have to get them to give me their address first, and add them. Basically, these creeps who run appspot and the other spam sites have taken away our functionality.

    Another problem is sub-domains, domains, and users.

    The spammers use some gibberish string of characters for {user}, followed by a gibberish string of characters for {sub-domain}, followed by the domain name. something like this:

    ******@red-4-fk59sdlgkjd.appspot.com

    in the form

    {gibberish}{at-symbol}{gibberish}{dot}{domain-name}{dot}{whatever}

    which is

    {user-name}{at-symbol}{sub-domain}{dot}{domain}{dot}{whatever}

    Blocking a user is useless, even if you could do it, the user names are deleted right after they send the spam: that's why they are gibberish. Blocking a sub-domain, even if you could do it, is only temporary for the same reason. The only way you could defend yourself is to be able to actually block an entire domain. Like appspot.com. Which you can't. It may be impossible at the user level and require changing the server settings - I don't know.

    It is possible to redirect the spam. If you add the spammer's sub-domain and domain to your "safe" list, THEN you can use a rule. Make a new folder with some name and use the rule to redirect the spam to this new folder. But this will never be a complete solution because the spammers keep changing their sub-domain names.

    What to do about it? I don't see any reasonable solution. Please note that you CAN'T REALLY stop mail from a domain. No way. "Blocking" SENDS spam to your junk folder. The only way to do anything else is to actually add the sender to your safe list, because "Rules" ONLY work on messages that do NOT go to the junk folder. The only solutions I can see are outside of the world of your Outlook screen.

    • Get Outlook to change their system.

    Make them change the way that their "block" function and/or "rules" actually work. Make it possible to actually send any incoming mail from an entire domain directly to the deleted items folder.

    • If I am wrong and there is any way to actually, really, direct ALL messages from an entire domain directly to a trash folder, please post this solution.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-12-24T04:12:28+00:00

    Appspot.com should just be invalid.. PERIOD! I get so much trashy junk emails from that site that Microsoft should do something about it. Also, I have NO IDEA why Microsoft lets an invalid email address send their spam to me. FIGURE IT OUT, MICROSOFT. Your email system is getting to be WORSE THAN USELESS!

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-12-12T00:23:20+00:00

    I’m assuming your issue is that the appspot.com emails are cluttering up your Junk Mail folder. If so:

    I actually discovered that creating an “appspot.com” “Safe Domain” for Junk Mail does in fact route nearly all of the appspot.com Junk mail to my Inbox. You need to route these “Junk” emails to your Inbox because Microsoft doesn’t provide Junk email rules similar to the Inbox rules. (Sometimes it takes Outlook a day or two for the Safe Domain to work.) Then I created an Inbox rule to DELETE all “appspot.com” emails.

    This approach gets rid of nearly all Junk appspot.com emails. However, there are still some appspot.com emails that get placed in the Junk folder. In that case, you need to create a “Safe Domain” for Junk mail for that specific email address. An example is “redirect10122019.appspot.com”.

    Another big issue I’m now encountering  are  emails coming from “Support@????????.de”. Looks like there is a random character generator that places characters where the question marks are in my example. There doesn’t appear to be any way to create a Junk email Safe Domain for this pattern. MICROSOFT - PLEASE WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE!!!!!!!

    In the meantime, I suggest everyone who is getting this garbage, to please report them as phishing emails to Microsoft. It may help wake them up - coffee certainly doesn’t seem to be working!

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-12-03T18:06:48+00:00

    Try adding the appspot.com domain to your safe senders list as any email 'from' address that 'contains' appspot.com Then you will be able to create a rule/s to auto-delete any email that contains that domain

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments