Exchange Account Setup in Gmail Broken

Anonymous
2019-11-09T23:03:00+00:00

Hi. I own an Android smartphone and have setup access to my Outlook email via the 'Exchange and Office 365' settings in the Gmail app as I prefer to keep my accounts on one app for convenience (also have the Exchange Services app installed). Unfortunately, this functionality seems to have broken around about the time that Google pushed out their most recent app update. I've tried setting up using the servers 'm.outlook.com', 'm.hotmail.com' and 'eas.outlook.com', all of which 'work' in that the initial setup completes but email and calendar sync never actually happens and I get a flag from Google saying to contact IT Admin instead. Has anyone else who accesses their Outlook via Gmail had this problem? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-11-10T19:13:49+00:00

    Yes, I'm using the Outlook app. Either way, it seems that something happened which messed up the links between our Outlook/Microsoft/Hotmail accounts and the Android OS. Luckily, I'd only  lost a few contacts because I copy them over to the phone itself and my Gmail account every now and again.

    Hope you find a solution soon

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-11-10T18:14:35+00:00

    @VZCUR, thanks but the android Gmail app still seems broken for me... it sounds like maybe you are using the Outlook app for android.  I may try installing that next to see if it will work for me.  

    We don't know if Microsoft "broke" the Exchange servers so they don't work with the android Gmail app anymore, or if Google did something to their GMail app causing the problem.  

    Either way, my phone lost all my contact phone #'s, email addresses and other info.  That's the problem with data in the cloud when it rains.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-11-10T16:54:53+00:00

    I've just heard from the next level of Microsoft support & they seem to have fixed it. 

    If you can remember a contact you added via the Contacts app to your Microsoft/Outlook account, search for it in the Outlook app. Press Add Contact, then it will ask to sync your account with Android. I had to do this a couple of times before it worked and my Microsoft/Outlook account appeared back in my Contacts app. I then fixed the Calendar issue by removing then reinstalling the widget.

    Hope this helps

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-11-10T14:06:09+00:00

    Think I have a similar problem - Microsoft support know nothing about it...

    Using Outlook with old Hotmail account for email, calendar & contacts, with no problems unt yesterday (at keast thats when I noticed a problem with the calendar, the contacts I noticed today). I havent been asked to reverify my account, thlgub, and haven't noticed any problems with email - yet!

    Does anyone have any idea when or if this will be resloved, or is it Google trying to make us all switch to Gmail/Google calendar?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-11-10T08:46:41+00:00

    I don't have 2-factor security enabled on my account, it's an old free hotmail address that I usually read via web browser at outlook.live.com.  I used my actual hotmail password for the Android mail app, same as before.

    On my Android 9 phone (a Moto G6) I've been using the pre-installed Gmail app to read email, contacts & calendar.  It worked fine until this morning, when I got the same warning to update my Exchange account, followed by the error message screenshot posted above.  Maybe an overnight app update broke something.

    Removing my account (and re-adding it back) just removed all my contact phone #'s and blanked my phone calendar.  Trying to add my hotmail account back as a Pop3 or Imap semi-works but only for email --the contacts & calendar won't sync. 

    If adding my hotmail account as an Exchange account, it complains "go back & choose Outlook, Hotmail & Live", but doing that is the same as the Pop3/Imap setup (no contacts or calendar).  If I ignore & setup as Exchange, it says it OK'd the account setup, but nothing works, sync fails for email, contacts & calendar.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments