Exchange Account Setup in Gmail Broken

Anonymous
2019-11-09T23:03:00+00:00

Hi. I own an Android smartphone and have setup access to my Outlook email via the 'Exchange and Office 365' settings in the Gmail app as I prefer to keep my accounts on one app for convenience (also have the Exchange Services app installed). Unfortunately, this functionality seems to have broken around about the time that Google pushed out their most recent app update. I've tried setting up using the servers 'm.outlook.com', 'm.hotmail.com' and 'eas.outlook.com', all of which 'work' in that the initial setup completes but email and calendar sync never actually happens and I get a flag from Google saying to contact IT Admin instead. Has anyone else who accesses their Outlook via Gmail had this problem? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-11-11T12:53:04+00:00

    I have had this problem too after last weekend's gmail app update for android.  November 9th 2019.

    Here is a way to "fix" it.

    Got to the properties of your Gmail account management and select your Exchange account with this problem.

    Here you will get another question to update your security settings. When you try that it will give a list of rights this account will get (including wiping your phone!!) which is needed to get it work. This is required even if the Exchange environment with it's policies itself does not require this!!

    So up to you of you accept this or not.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  3. Anonymous
    2019-11-11T11:54:30+00:00

    FYI There is this and this open in Google's support site related to this issue. Most likely Google broke it with their Nov. 5 update to their Gmail app.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-11-11T05:10:32+00:00

    Hi. I own an Android smartphone and have setup access to my Outlook email via the 'Exchange and Office 365' settings in the Gmail app as I prefer to keep my accounts on one app for convenience (also have the Exchange Services app installed). Unfortunately, this functionality seems to have broken around about the time that Google pushed out their most recent app update. I've tried setting up using the servers 'm.outlook.com', 'm.hotmail.com' and 'eas.outlook.com', all of which 'work' in that the initial setup completes but email and calendar sync never actually happens and I get a flag from Google saying to contact IT Admin instead. Has anyone else who accesses their Outlook via Gmail had this problem? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

    I'm having the exact same issue with the recent Gmail Android update and my exchange hotmail syncing. Inget the same error message. Indont have two factor authentication on either. Im aable to fix it by uninstallling and reinstalling and older version of Gmail. What is going on?!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-11-10T19:39:19+00:00

    I don't know if I fixed my problem or someone at Microsoft support fixed something, but this is what I did and it started working again...

    On my android (version 9) phone, went to the Play Store, found the Gmail app and selected "Uninstall all updates" to it, reverting it back to the original factory installation.  You might also be able to do this under Settings > Apps & notifications > Gmail.

    Then, Settings > Accounts, select the old hotmail account and then remove it.

    Then, Settings > Accounts > Add account > Exchange, typed hotmail account email address, then "Manual Setup".

    When asked what type of account is this, select Exchange.  Enter password > Next, and on "Incoming server settings" changed the server name from imap-mail.outlook.com to eas.outlook.com (from previous notes I made).  A new screen then asked for all kinds of remote-control permissions (even a phone factory reset), but once I clicked OK the account was  set up and everything synced properly again --email, contacts and calendar.  The account shows up (under android Settings > Accounts) as "******@hotmail.com" as type "Exchange".

    I don't think I'll let the Gmail app update itself again for quite awhile!

    Was this answer helpful?

    10 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments