Exchange Account Setup in Gmail Broken

Anonymous
2019-11-09T23:03:00+00:00

Hi. I own an Android smartphone and have setup access to my Outlook email via the 'Exchange and Office 365' settings in the Gmail app as I prefer to keep my accounts on one app for convenience (also have the Exchange Services app installed). Unfortunately, this functionality seems to have broken around about the time that Google pushed out their most recent app update. I've tried setting up using the servers 'm.outlook.com', 'm.hotmail.com' and 'eas.outlook.com', all of which 'work' in that the initial setup completes but email and calendar sync never actually happens and I get a flag from Google saying to contact IT Admin instead. Has anyone else who accesses their Outlook via Gmail had this problem? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2019-11-20T16:35:14+00:00

    Didn't fix it for me.  Tried deleting account...updating gmail...re-adding hotmail account (with exchange settings)...and I get the same security error.

    I think Microsoft has to change something on their end so exchange plays nice with the new gmail security settings.  Perhaps it's an account by account thing - but I'm not sure how we track that down!

    Not sure what's your setup, but this is what I did & hope it helps.

    1. I have two-way auth enabled on Hotmail
    2. when setting up the exchange account, I choose do it manually.
    3. use m.hotmial.com as the domain
    4. generate an app-only passcode from the security section and use that as the password.

    That's what I did.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-11-20T14:24:02+00:00

    Didn't fix it for me.  Tried deleting account...updating gmail...re-adding hotmail account (with exchange settings)...and I get the same security error.

    I think Microsoft has to change something on their end so exchange plays nice with the new gmail security settings.  Perhaps it's an account by account thing - but I'm not sure how we track that down!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-11-20T00:10:50+00:00

    Is this release available through an official channel?

    Yes. Google has fixed the issue

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-11-19T15:04:22+00:00

    Is this release available through an official channel?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-11-17T23:24:47+00:00

    Hi Everyone, I did try to install the older GMAIL.

    -install to the newer version didn't work at all.

    • had to uninstall the GMAIL app and install the September version, but when I tried to add the Exchange account just bounced back to the account setup email and did nothing.

    The strange thing is, it does only with my company account (I got the same update account and the error message a week ago, after that I had to remove the account ) and I'm not able to add it again. It works with the Outlook app, but not in Gmail. Moreover, I'm still using a few O365 Exchange accounts with Gmail without any issues. 

    If you had any other ideas, please share it with me as I would like to use all accounts with the Gmail app somehow.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments