Exchange Account Setup in Gmail Broken

Anonymous
2019-11-09T23:03:00+00:00

Hi. I own an Android smartphone and have setup access to my Outlook email via the 'Exchange and Office 365' settings in the Gmail app as I prefer to keep my accounts on one app for convenience (also have the Exchange Services app installed). Unfortunately, this functionality seems to have broken around about the time that Google pushed out their most recent app update. I've tried setting up using the servers 'm.outlook.com', 'm.hotmail.com' and 'eas.outlook.com', all of which 'work' in that the initial setup completes but email and calendar sync never actually happens and I get a flag from Google saying to contact IT Admin instead. Has anyone else who accesses their Outlook via Gmail had this problem? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2020-02-16T18:39:59+00:00

    I tried various solutions including mutiple versions of the gmail app to no avail. The only solution I have found is to enable 2fa on my hotmail account, add a new exchange account via the gmail app and sign in with the app password as supplied in the microsoft account security settings. This seems to get around whatever it is that google/microsoft have broken.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-11-21T20:17:52+00:00

    Didn't fix it for me.  Tried deleting account...updating gmail...re-adding hotmail account (with exchange settings)...and I get the same security error.

    I think Microsoft has to change something on their end so exchange plays nice with the new gmail security settings.  Perhaps it's an account by account thing - but I'm not sure how we track that down!

    Not sure what's your setup, but this is what I did & hope it helps.

    1. I have two-way auth enabled on Hotmail
    2. when setting up the exchange account, I choose do it manually.
    3. use m.hotmial.com as the domain
    4. generate an app-only passcode from the security section and use that as the password.

    That's what I did.

    Oh, you also need to make sure you have this version Gmail 2019.11.03.280318276.release

    I don't believe it's officially in the google store yet.

    Yep, this new version has reached Google Play Store today and fixed the problem for me. 😊😊

    Microsoft was not at fault here.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-11-16T14:58:15+00:00

    Anyone tried the November 15th Gmail update to see if it is fixed?

    I actually think Microsoft is going to have to make a change on their end...but maybe google will back off the changes if enough people complain.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-11-15T15:09:01+00:00

    While downgrading did here you could - of course - try uninstalling first (it will not really uninstall, but fall back to the version that came with the OS).

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-11-10T14:06:09+00:00

    Think I have a similar problem - Microsoft support know nothing about it...

    Using Outlook with old Hotmail account for email, calendar & contacts, with no problems unt yesterday (at keast thats when I noticed a problem with the calendar, the contacts I noticed today). I havent been asked to reverify my account, thlgub, and haven't noticed any problems with email - yet!

    Does anyone have any idea when or if this will be resloved, or is it Google trying to make us all switch to Gmail/Google calendar?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments