Can't edit the notes in Contacts in Outlook 365

Anonymous
2019-01-22T11:12:35+00:00

Hello,

I have the strange behaviour that I can't edit some of mine existing notes in my Contacts.

I have several existing contacts (View = Card but I dont think it matters, because in other view it also won't work) with some notes, sometimes I can edit the notes in a contact and there are other Contacts where I can't edit the notes. All the other fields I can edit.

Any idea what to do?

Kind regards,

Bianca

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2019-02-01T22:33:12+00:00

We posted a known issue article to track status, https://support.office.com/en-us/article/can-t-edit-the-notes-field-for-a-contact-fb8394ce-04ce-48b5-bae4-be46f77f10fe?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US.  

The Outlook Team found the root cause of the issue.  It has to do with the way Outlook handles that field if the contact has the PR_TRANSPORT_MESSAGE_HEADERS property.  The only workaround for existing contacts today is to use MFCMAPIto remove the PR_TRANSPORT_MESSAGE_HEADERS property.

As part of the investigation the product team is trying to understand what could be setting that property.  Maybe it is an add-in or other solution.  If anyone sees the message header being added and knows what it setting it please let me know.

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2019-04-08T15:12:54+00:00

    DB,

    Please see the known issue topic that has some other suggested workarounds, https://support.office.com/en-us/article/unable-to-edit-contacts-appointments-meetings-or-tasks-within-outlook-fb8394ce-04ce-48b5-bae4-be46f77f10fe?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US.  I expect the fix for Outlook 2010 will go out in the May or June public updates.  Once we know for sure I'll update the known issue topic with the details.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-04-08T01:48:43+00:00

    Howdy,

    I'm having this issue with Outlook 2010 as well only it is ALL of my contacts ... at least that I've tried to update.  Your "Answer" to use MFCMAPI is very vague and unhelpful.  What is this tool, how do you use it and how can it fix my problem.  Do I have to apply it to each contact?  I have 759 ... that's not gonna work for me.  This has been a problem since sometime in January.  Please update with a better resolution.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-04-03T18:55:38+00:00

    Thanks for sharing the update Janet.  We added that workaround to the known issue document too, https://support.office.com/en-us/article/unable-to-edit-contacts-appointments-meetings-or-tasks-within-outlook-fb8394ce-04ce-48b5-bae4-be46f77f10fe?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US.  

    The latest update is that the fix for Outlook 2016 Monthly Channel is expected in late April.  Fixes for Semi Annual Channels and perpetual versions will release in the May timeframe.  In the meantime the workarounds are the suggest mitigation.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-04-03T18:45:06+00:00

    I had exactly the same problem and was able to solve the problem quickly using the method suggested by Jeremy Robinson here:

    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice\_outlook-mso\_win10-mso\_o365b/cant-edit-the-notes-in-contacts-in-outlook-365/551cc77c-307d-4afe-aca6-905d90217020?page=2

    Thank you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments