Unable to connect IMAP account to Outlook for iOS8

Anonymous
2015-07-28T22:44:23+00:00

I have installed the Outlook app on an iPad and iPhone with the latest iOS8. I have an IMAP email account but the app is unable to connect to it. 

The native iOS email client on both devices will connect to this IMAP account OK.  But when I enter the same settings in the Outlook app's Advanced Settings entry screen (which are the server, etc. settings provided by my ISP), it comes back with a message that it cannot connect.

I note that the entry screens in the current Outlook app differ from those shown in the relevant Office365 knowledge base article here:

https://support.office.com/en-au/article/Set-up-email-on-iPhone-iPad-or-iPod-Touch-b2de2161-cc1d-49ef-9ef9-81acd1c8e234?ui=en-US&rs=en-AU&ad=AU&fromAR=1#BKMK\_IMAPorPOP

The article shows screenshots with options to select/deselect SSL and enter port numbers. These options don't appear when I use the IMAP setup option in Outlook for iOS. 

Note that when iOS makes the connection, it does not use SSL or ask for port numbers. These parameters can only be accessed via the advanced account settings for the account AFTER the device has added the account.

I should add that I also have an Exchange email account, which can be set up in both the iOS email client and the iOS Outlook app without difficulty. 

And also that the Outlook app exhibits the same behaviour on Android - i.e. the Android email client lets me set up the IMAP account but Outlook for Android is unable to connect.

Outlook | Outlook for mobile | Outlook for iOS | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-11-11T03:48:25+00:00

    I'm having the same problem with iOS9 (iPad) and Outlook 2.0.0 configured to connect to a Communigate server via IMAP.

    Any updates or work-arounds?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-10-27T18:09:41+00:00

    I have the same issue using Outlook for Android.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-10-27T12:29:17+00:00

    Is it the case that the Outlook App for iOS is only compatible with IMAP accounts that use SSL?

    I do not, and so cannot set up my email account on the Outlook client app it appears.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-09-10T14:12:23+00:00

    Hello,

    I have the same problem. The Outlook for IOS help pages state that one can check a SSL checkbox and specify a portnumber. This is not possible in the current version. You can only specify hostname, no additional info.

    I run an IMAP server with default SSL port 993, which Outlook for IOS should use by default, but that does not work.

    Please clarify, Either the app is missing settings or the help info is outdated

    Best regards

    Mark

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-07-29T15:35:24+00:00

    Hello,

    Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community.

    In order to resolve your issue we would require more information. Let us know the following:

    Since you mention that the Outlook for iOS (as well as Outlook for Android) screens differ from that which is shown on the Set up email on iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch article, send us screenshots of the Outlook for iOS app which you see on your mobile device. Also, let us know where (at which step/s) do you get stuck while trying to setup/configure your IMAP account in Outlook for iOS as per the screenshots that you would post.

    To capture and send us a screenshot follow the step as shown in the following Microsoft link.

    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows\_other-windows\_programs/how-to-include-a-screenshot-in-your-post/2594b08e-32a3-476a-85a6-b021181be7e4

    Check the above and send us the information.

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments