Outlook suddenly taking all attachments from One Drive rather than from my PC

Anonymous
2016-08-03T21:19:57+00:00

For some reason my Outlook 2016 program has decided that whenever I want to attach a file to an e-mail, that it will pull that file from One Drive rather than from my PC.

It never did this until this morning and it is driving me nuts.  When I send an attachment, I want the attachment to be drawn directly from my PC not from One Drive.    

I called up my Office 365 rep and he told me that I should unsynch the folder which I am pulling the attachment from.  That way, it can only take from the PC.    Ok, that doesn't resolve the problem however because if I do that, I'm no longer backing up files on to One Drive.

I want to be able to back up everything to One Drive, but when I send an attachment via e-mail, I don't want the recipient to have to access that file through One Drive.    They should just be able to open the attachment directly.

Again, this was never an issue until this morning.   I have to assume I flipped a toggle on Outlook that is preventing it from adding attachments directly from the PC, but I can't figure out what I did.

Can anyone assist?

Sincerely,

Marc

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-05T01:44:45+00:00

Hi everyone,

I got the information from our Outlook team that the issue has been resolved several hours ago. In order for the change to take effect, please restart Outlook 2016, and you should go back to the original experience of seeing both a local copy of your OneDrive file in the Attachments menu, in addition to the cloud link, allowing you to select how you prefer sending your OneDrive file.

If you still have the problem after restarting , feel free to let us know by posting a new thread. I will be closing this thread for further posting in order for affected users to easily identify this message.

More information you can see here.

Best Regards,

Neo Zhu

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

40 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-08-04T14:41:53+00:00

    I replied to your private message as well.  I am NOT using Outlook Web App, just a regular desktop version.  

    When tech support people remotely accessed my computer they took out my onedrive folder, then turned it back on - still didn't work.  I am not sure if it's the same as creating a new profile.  I already spent hours on this yesterday.  Somehow my main folder for OneDrive shows as shared, while it's not shared on the web version.  Not sure if it has anything to do with it.  I also noticed I have a bunch of OneDrive folders in different directories.  I was going to completely take out every folder and start fresh later today....

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-08-04T14:39:53+00:00

    Allen

    Sorry, not got time to send screenshots. 

    I am trying to attach files from my PC which are synched with OneDrive and they are showing up as OneDrive files which they were not yesterday. As of yesterday, they were showing up as ordinary files from my PC when I attached them and not as OneDrive files, even though they were still synched with OneDrive. I repeat, I have touched nothing my end and nor, clearly, have others who have complained about this. It is clearly also not an end user's problem as suddenly a whole stack of people have had this problem in the past two days.

    And I can't see how else to access those docs/files on my PC to attach them to an email? 

    Give me back the ability to just attach an ordinary doc to an ordinary email please, it really is not too much to ask for.

    Thanks

    Richard

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-08-04T14:15:27+00:00

    Hi Richard,

    Thanks a lot for your time and patience so far!

    I have just tested with the exactly same version (16.0.7070.2033) as well as other newest versions provided by different Office channels, but I didn’t reproduce the issue you described. In my test, I could attach both OneDrive files (with the little cloud symbol) and files on my PC (without the symbol), and I also could send them out as attachments, and the recipients could see them normally.

    Regarding this, can you please send us some screenshots from your side to show what exact behaviors you are facing? Specifically, do you mean that you can only attach OneDrive files and not the files from your PC?

    Your efforts on this case are really appreciated!

    Best Regards,

    Allen

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-08-04T13:14:44+00:00

    My pleasure!

    Could we now just try sorting it please. I haven't really got time to keep coming on here to read the latest messages, I just want a solution to something I didn't instigate and didn't want. Sorry if that sounds a bit rude, but I'm very busy and just want the problem solved.

    Thank you

    Richard

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments