Duplicate Contacts issue on Outlook.com

Anonymous
2016-03-01T18:24:14+00:00

I am struggling with this issue since I switched from Gmail to Outlook. I exported Gmail contacts to .csv file and imported into Outlook.com account. MS Outlook 2016 (on both PC and Mac) and also on iPhone have no contacts. I wanted to sync all three device with Outlook.com server and get contacts from there. However due to unknown reasons when sync happens, I see that there are up to 9 duplicate contacts on Outlook.com contact list. Sometimes they appear as linked and sometimes separate. 

Initially I though issue is related to Sync with iPhone and MS Outlook 2016. However then I deleted all contacts from Outlook.com account and all devices and also stopped all sort of sync with iPhone, PC and iMac. Now there is no contact on any of device. Then I uploaded .csv file exported from Gmail to outlook.com account. This .csv file have 179 rows with 179 contacts. Here is what happened: I see 50 contacts appeared twice on Outlook.com People account. Rest (179-50) contacts appeared once but there are two linked contacts on each card with once exception which has 3 links. When I click on "Links" on outlook.com account, first link shows "Outlook-(contacts)" and second link shows "Outlook-(My contacts). I checked .csv file and I see last column "Categories" is filled with "My contacts" all the way. 

Next, I clicked Manage-->Clean up contacts to merge those duplicates and to my surprise many contacts are appearing up to 9 times in match list. That means somewhere inside the outlook.com contacts are listed up to 9 times.

It seems problem may be related to Outlook.com as now none of device is syncing back to Outlook.com account.

Then I tried one more thing:

I deleted all contacts from Outlook.com account and added two contact manually to Outlook.com contact list. To my surprise in few minutes, one contact was duplicated automatically. I also observed that even though I have deleted all contacts from Outlook.com (I have 0 contacts now), when I press Manage--->Clean up contacts, it shows hundreds of contacts are still there and there are lots of duplicates suggesting to merge! This is probably the root cause of issue. In spite of deleting everything from Outlook.com contacts, Contacts are retained somewhere on Outlook.com and when I add new contact, they merge and create duplicates.

On Outlook.com People page, I clicked Manage--> Restore deleted contacts. And, it showed that "you have 4539 contacts that can be restored". These are mainly same contacts which are inside .csv file I am trying to import appearing multiple times in deletion log. Is it possible that these deleted contacts residing somewhere inside Outlook.com are syncing back and merging back when I add same contacts via .csv file or manually?

Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Contacts

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-08-08T16:46:57+00:00

    Probably try the suggestions in this thread and adapt them to your situation. I wasn't crazy about using the iPhone as a separate place for contacts, but I'm retired and not that busy so it worked OK for me for a while.  I tried some other workarounds, but those failed later as MS must have made changes to their cloud syncing and Outlook.

    I haven't talked to tech support for three months, so you might try them to see if they have updated information and protocols.

    I wish I could be more helpful. It's been very frustrating and a big time sink. I'm really waiting for them to get it working consistently as it is supposed to.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-08-08T16:32:40+00:00

    I don't work for MS. What I know is based on many hours of detective work on the Web, and my own experience fighting the duplicate contacts problem, however I can't represent my opinions as authoritative!

    That said ... while Exchange migration was supposed to be *substantially* complete by the end of July, I read somewhere that it wouldn't be *fully* complete until the end of summer or early fall. So there are probably still some customers getting nailed by the contacts duplication fiasco, and you may be one of them.

    If that is true, there probably isn't much you can do except wait a while longer, and try deleting and re-populating your contacts (after waiting a few hours for things to settle) in (say) September.

    That isn't what you want to hear, but in six months of reading I've yet to find a solution (other than not using outlook.com as your master contacts storage, a change I made months ago).

    Dave Ings

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-08-08T16:16:50+00:00

    Apologies as I mis-typed. My issue is indeed with contacts. Any suggestions?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-08-08T16:10:51+00:00

    MJJ_838, I agree with Dave that the email duplication is a different issue than the contacts duplication. I had calendar sync/duplication issues earlier also (when first migrating to Office 365 in March). 

    When I researched this, calendar was as siloed as the contacts and email issues. Good idea to search into the email duplication as its own topic.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2016-08-08T14:36:52+00:00

    Perhaps you misspoke, but this issue (thread) is about duplicated contacts, not duplicated emails.

    At least for me, the duplicate contacts issue seems to have resolved itself.

    As best as I've been able to learn, the root cause of the issue was migration errors due to outlook.com migrating to Exchange infrastructure. AFAIK the migration is now substantially complete, so with a bit of luck the duplication won't re-occur. 

    Dave Ings

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments