Outlook continually re-asking for password

Anonymous
2017-01-05T16:43:54+00:00

Hi there, 

Wonder if anyone can help - this issue is causing me considerable pain.

Essentially my mac outlook keeps asking for my password periodically:

Enter your account information for "XXXXXX"

User name: <My email address>

Password: <unpopulated>

<checkbox> Remember this password in my keychain

When I enter the password, and submit the form it asks me immediately for the same details again. Even if I select use keychain.

Then after two attempts, it shows me this message:

Mail could not be received at this time.

The server for account "<my name>" returned the error "Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password." Your username/password may be incorrect. Would you like to try re-entering your password?

No/Yes

If I click "Yes" it shows me the same dialogue again....and when I click "yes" again it disappears.

This process restarts every 15 minutes through my working day - but I do get emails sporadically. So its kinda disruptive!

Can anyone help?

Graham

Outlook | MacOS | Legacy Outlook for Mac | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-01-12T15:50:23+00:00

Hi All,

Thanks for your updates.

Firstly, I’m sorry that I may have misunderstood your different scenarios in the posts above. I have done more research and consulting about the issue and please check the different steps below:

@Graham, since you are using an Office 365 account, please double-confirm whether all the Office 365 related credentials are deleted on your Mac. (Although I understand you may have deleted the keychain folder earlier due to an irrelevant issue.) To check that, please refer to the steps below:

  1. Go to KeyChain Access.
  2. Search "Exchange" under Login --> All Items and delete everything.
  3. Search "Office" and delete everything.
  4. Search "ADAL" and delete everything.
  5. Launch Outlook.
  6. You will get the activation prompt and then If account is already added you will see the password prompt for app and ADAL again. Please do 2-Factor Authentication if asked to.

You can also let your colleague try the steps to see if the issue can be fixed.

@Tanner, since you are using a Mediacom account, I suppose you configured the account via IMAP in the Outlook for Mac client, right? Anyway, you may need to delete the Mediacom related credentials and the information in the thread that I shared above may not work for you. Please refer to these steps instead:

  1. Open Applications/Keychain Access
  2. On the left, select the Login Keychain
  3. On the left, select the Passwords category
  4. Find out and delete all the Mediacom related credentials.

Let me know how it works this time. Thanks for your time and cooperation.

Regards,

Sam

Was this answer helpful?

6 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-03-06T17:27:18+00:00

    Hi Ruel,

    I'm on the fast build and still getting the same problem (having to repeatedly enter my password). I'm truly fed up with the reduced productivity I have suffered arising from this issue.

    Can you recommend another compatible mail application for my Mac?

    Graham

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-03-06T16:36:08+00:00

    Tanner ,

    Thanks for the feedback.  I hope things improve for you.  Do you happen to use a different email client with the same account?  Just curious if a different client handles this any better.  

    -James

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-03-04T01:39:59+00:00

    James, I sent Mediacom your reply. Their response seemed elementary. They wanted me to change my ports and do a minor reconfiguration of my account. When I did that their server timed out every time Outlook tried to sync. So I changed back to my original settings so I could have at least some email traffic even while the password prompt comes up repeatedly.

    I'm not sure Mediacom is going to do anything about this. They gave no indication that they were grateful for your analysis. The Mediacom bureaucracy is unresponsive in a legendary sense!

    Thanks for you help! 

    Tanner

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-03-02T01:40:22+00:00

    Hi Tanner, 

    I took a look at your log, and it seems that the server you are talking to is having some issues.  From the log I see this:

    ibmjp Verbose IMAP Connection: ReadResponse {"Connection": -1972363776, "ReceivedFromIMAPServer": "* BYE njtozmbv06.mcomdc.com Zimbra IMAP4rev1 server closing connection; service busy\r\n"}

    The server responded this way when we attempted to login.  This is unexpected as the server appears to be overwhelmed.  

    Is there a chance you can contact the server owner and let them know that njtozmbv06.mcomdc.com needs some attention?  Maybe that it is not accepting connections randomly?

    From the log it seems that sometimes the server will accept the login and sometimes it won't.  

    Thanks,

    -James

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments