How to remove the gray bar on right side of browser after upgrading to Outlook/Hotmail Plus?

Anonymous
2013-03-26T20:14:23+00:00

The title asks it all I should hope.

I've searched around, but everyone asking about how to remove it are only complaining about not wanting to see ads without paying.  I have paid, and just wonder if the area that once showed the ads can be removed.

Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-03-29T06:36:07+00:00

Hi JeremiahLee85,

Thank you for posting in the Microsoft Community forum. Yes, you may remove the gray bar on the right side of your Outlook.com page. To do this, please follow the steps below:

  1. Open your Inbox.
  2. Click on the gear icon or the cog wheel located at the upper right part of the page beside your Profile name.
  3. Choose More mail settings.
  4. Under Reading email, click Content from third-party networks.
  5. Under Showing public content, choose Don't show public content from third-party networks.
  6. Click Save.

Should you need further assistance, please feel free to post back.

Thank you.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-05-21T20:45:35+00:00

    Hi PaulDahlen,

    Thank you for getting back to us. Let me assist you with your concern.

    We apologize for the confusion. As what Alden D mentioned above, "investigate your account deeper" means that we need to further investigate this issue for us to determine if it's an account related concern so we can make necessary adjustments if necessary.

    We appreciate your comments about Outlook.com. Feel free to post to our feedback page provided by Alden D above. If you have other issues or clarifications, don't hesitate to reply to this thread.

    Your patience is highly appreciated.

    Thank you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-05-22T00:37:39+00:00

    Simply astounding!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-06-25T23:14:52+00:00

    I have the same issue, and I completely agree with all the critiques: you have done nothing so far to help to original poster, or anyone else coming across this forum. The url of this forum is answers.microsoft.com but so far no answers have been given (or maybe to individual users but that isn't the idea of a forum is it?).

    That being said, here is a screenshot of what we're talking about (although I suspect you already know what we mean).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-06-26T00:55:11+00:00

    Hi Tim Corn, I use the name Falcon Feathers (My name is actually Nola and not connected with Microsoft, but I have been rescuing people since they forced us into outlook.com....including where on earth did the printer go... when the universal symbol looks like a printer...what...did...they...choose???...yes, 3 dots.

    I looked at what you have above and have one suggestion that might work better for you. You will still be stuck with the ad bar on the right.

    Look at the very top of your Outlook.com page. On the left side of your name is a thing I call a flower (no idea what they chose to call it). click it once and a list appears.

    At the top are boxes of colour, then the word READING PANE. RIGHT UNDER THAT IS OFF. CLICK OFF.

    NOW YOU WILL SEE YOUR MAIL AS A PAGE OF EMAIL TITLES. WHEN YOU CLICK ONE, THE PAGE CHANGES, AND YOU WILL SEE YOU HAVE FAR MORE VIEWING ROOM OF THE EMAIL (even though the ad is still hogging space on the right). Hope it helps...a little.  The actual mail will now take up the entire space of the Mails and Reading Pane that you showed me above.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments