How to remove the gray bar on right side of browser after upgrading to Outlook/Hotmail Plus?

Anonymous
2013-03-26T20:14:23+00:00

The title asks it all I should hope.

I've searched around, but everyone asking about how to remove it are only complaining about not wanting to see ads without paying.  I have paid, and just wonder if the area that once showed the ads can be removed.

Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-03-29T06:36:07+00:00

Hi JeremiahLee85,

Thank you for posting in the Microsoft Community forum. Yes, you may remove the gray bar on the right side of your Outlook.com page. To do this, please follow the steps below:

  1. Open your Inbox.
  2. Click on the gear icon or the cog wheel located at the upper right part of the page beside your Profile name.
  3. Choose More mail settings.
  4. Under Reading email, click Content from third-party networks.
  5. Under Showing public content, choose Don't show public content from third-party networks.
  6. Click Save.

Should you need further assistance, please feel free to post back.

Thank you.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-03-11T12:45:35+00:00

    Thank you Grace for your reply

    However, this seems to involve more then with the original hotmail and the prints do not always fit properly on the page when printing so additional tweaks are required.  I never had a problem with sizing before Microsoft took over and the ADS are extremely annoying when trying to read emails that require a full graphic page..

    I now find myself using Gmail more often then before and starting to switch my email contacts over to Gmail. I also use Chrome instead of Explorer or Firefox now whenever I do have to access my hotmail and have an add on to block the hotmail ads. Looks like I will be using Chrome as my primary browser as well

    It is ashamed that after all the years that I supported and used Microsoft products it is things like this that have moved me away to other NON-Microsoft options like Gmail, Chrome and Android based products. Although I am not an Apple lover I also finally understand what Apple lovers mean when they claim the simplicity of Apple over Microsoft and no longer defend Microsoft as the product to go to.

    Sorry to say that Microsoft has not been customer supportive as much as it should have been and the hotmail take over has been a fiasco.

    Regards,

    Paul Pisano

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-03-11T08:32:31+00:00

    I would appreciate some honesty by Microsoft staff.

    As stated by MANY others we do not wish to have that bar. We wish to read our entire emails.

    Can an Honest member of Microsoft cut the nonsense and advise how to read TOTAL emails without all the SCREEN SHOTS/PRIVATE MESSAGES please?

    Thank you in anticipation of an early response

    JamesBWilson

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-01-06T14:53:54+00:00

    I can't believe this is still going on. My "adchoices" doesn't even work at all, so there is just a dead grey bar on the right side making it tough to read certain emails. How in God's name has Microsoft not figured out a better way?

    I finally had it today. Going back to gmail. There will still be annoying ads but atleast I can read my emails.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-09-14T11:40:40+00:00

    Hi PP56,

    Welcome to Microsoft Community.

    I understand that you want to remove the Ad bar that you can see at the right side of the page as it is also being included to your print emails. Let me assist you with this.

    Please note that Outlook.com provides its services and support to you for free only because of our advertiser’s support.  The advertisements help pay for, as well as enhance, your free email services. This is the reason why advertisements appear on free accounts.

    Now, when you said it is also included to your print emails, there's a possibility that that you are using the Print option of your browser that's why ads are also being included. To use the Print function of Outlook.com correctly, here's how:

    1. Go to your Inbox.
    2. Select and open the email that you want to print.
    3. Click ... on the Outlook.com's Menu bar.
    4. Click Print.
    5. Another window will open with the contents of the email, click Print on the upper-left corner of that window.

    Let us know how things turn out. Should you have any other Outlook.com related concerns, please let us know.

    Regards,

    Grace

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments