How to remove the gray bar on right side of browser after upgrading to Outlook/Hotmail Plus?

Anonymous
2013-03-26T20:14:23+00:00

The title asks it all I should hope.

I've searched around, but everyone asking about how to remove it are only complaining about not wanting to see ads without paying.  I have paid, and just wonder if the area that once showed the ads can be removed.

Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-03-29T06:36:07+00:00

Hi JeremiahLee85,

Thank you for posting in the Microsoft Community forum. Yes, you may remove the gray bar on the right side of your Outlook.com page. To do this, please follow the steps below:

  1. Open your Inbox.
  2. Click on the gear icon or the cog wheel located at the upper right part of the page beside your Profile name.
  3. Choose More mail settings.
  4. Under Reading email, click Content from third-party networks.
  5. Under Showing public content, choose Don't show public content from third-party networks.
  6. Click Save.

Should you need further assistance, please feel free to post back.

Thank you.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-12-12T17:01:10+00:00

    Hi, I think there are "intelligent" ways to advertise, and stupid ones. This is obviously a stupid one as it simply takes up empty space for no reason and crams all my emails together. Rediculous.

    I have been a loyal Microsoft customer for now over twenty years, shelling out thousands for its software, and now all of the sudden I have to be stuck with this idiotic gray side-bar that I cant get rid off?

    Ludicrous. A good way to treat your customers...

    best, Manuel

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-11-28T07:49:12+00:00

    Hi SpRiNgY(2),

    Thank you for posting your concern here in Microsoft Community.

     The gray section is for advertisements which is part of the Outlook.com free version. Signing up for the Ad-free Outlook.com will allow you to remove that section.

    If you happend to be subscribed in this service but still encounter this, please provide us the affected account.

    Please provide the needed information via private message. Click on You have a private reply to this message link just above your post to access the private message area. Note that you need to be signed in to the Microsoft Community to view the link. Reply back here after responding to that message so that we'll be notified immediately. 

    We look forward to your reply.

    Regards,

    Roland

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-11-23T19:06:00+00:00

    Hi Tomas,

     

    Thank you for posting back. You've mentioned that you want to remove the grey sidebar that is display in your mailbox. If so, have you tried the steps given by Glenda_Aon her post on how it can be removed? If not yet, please follow the instructions in her post on how to not show public content from third-party networks and let us know how things turn out.

     

    We look forward to your response.

     

    Thank you.

    Hello,

    Ok I want to get rid of the grey side bar as well. I followed the steps above to disable 3rd party content, but it still does not work. I still get a grey bar on the right hand side and there is no content. I think it should be removed because if it is removed then there will be more space to show an email. I currently have a right hand reading pane and that grey side bar is taking up space to display my emails.

    Please disable it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-10-26T07:17:18+00:00

    Hi Tomas,

    Thank you for posting back. You've mentioned that you want to remove the grey sidebar that is display in your mailbox. If so, have you tried the steps given by Glenda_Aon her post on how it can be removed? If not yet, please follow the instructions in her post on how to not show public content from third-party networks and let us know how things turn out.

    We look forward to your response.

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments