How to remove the gray bar on right side of browser after upgrading to Outlook/Hotmail Plus?

Anonymous
2013-03-26T20:14:23+00:00

The title asks it all I should hope.

I've searched around, but everyone asking about how to remove it are only complaining about not wanting to see ads without paying.  I have paid, and just wonder if the area that once showed the ads can be removed.

Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-03-29T06:36:07+00:00

Hi JeremiahLee85,

Thank you for posting in the Microsoft Community forum. Yes, you may remove the gray bar on the right side of your Outlook.com page. To do this, please follow the steps below:

  1. Open your Inbox.
  2. Click on the gear icon or the cog wheel located at the upper right part of the page beside your Profile name.
  3. Choose More mail settings.
  4. Under Reading email, click Content from third-party networks.
  5. Under Showing public content, choose Don't show public content from third-party networks.
  6. Click Save.

Should you need further assistance, please feel free to post back.

Thank you.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-01-26T16:49:09+00:00

    The title asks it all I should hope.

    I've searched around, but everyone asking about how to remove it are only complaining about not wanting to see ads without paying.  I have paid, and just wonder if the area that once showed the ads can be removed.

    I still have the free version of Hotmail, and yes, there is a section with ads down the entire right side. I find it distracting. Notice the first post was 2013, AND IT IS NOW ALMOST FEB 2017.

    SOLUTION WORKS FOR PAID AND FREE VERSION. ZOOM IN USING THE BROWSER.

    I only use Google Chrome as browser. I clicked the google chrome 3 bars on top right. The list has the zoom size adjuster. In my case, I am using a laptop which transfers to a 30 inch monitor. I simply clicked larger. ONE CLICK and the ad bar disappeared. (THE ZOOM IS 200) Then I adjusted the vertical dividing line between the folders and the email. Much easier on the eyes larger print. WHEN YOU ENLARGE, you will notice that you can no longer see the gray vertical sliding bar up and down the right side. Look at the bottom. There is now a gray bar at the bottom, and if you slide, you can now see the right side of the email and slide up and down through the letter.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-01-26T02:01:28+00:00

    Just scrolled through all the responses through all the years -- and no one has responded that their problem is solved. Oh Microsoft. So customer-oriented!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-01-26T01:52:39+00:00

    There is no category "more mail settings" under the cogwheel on my MacBook. Pls advise.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-09-04T07:58:16+00:00

    Hi guys,

    I just had this problem myself. It appeared a couple of days ago "for no reason". I wondered why, since I didn't change anything. And my other accounts don't have the problem.

    Oh wait, i did change one thing, i changed my language from English US to English UK. Guess what, I changed it back to English US and the useless gray sidebar disappeared immediately. I tried back and forth a few time and the behaviour was the same, ugly and useless gray side bar in English UK every time, always absent with English US.

    Of course, if that simple option changed this for me, there might be other options doing the same but I hope this might help some of you guys.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments