How to remove the gray bar on right side of browser after upgrading to Outlook/Hotmail Plus?

Anonymous
2013-03-26T20:14:23+00:00

The title asks it all I should hope.

I've searched around, but everyone asking about how to remove it are only complaining about not wanting to see ads without paying.  I have paid, and just wonder if the area that once showed the ads can be removed.

Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-03-29T06:36:07+00:00

Hi JeremiahLee85,

Thank you for posting in the Microsoft Community forum. Yes, you may remove the gray bar on the right side of your Outlook.com page. To do this, please follow the steps below:

  1. Open your Inbox.
  2. Click on the gear icon or the cog wheel located at the upper right part of the page beside your Profile name.
  3. Choose More mail settings.
  4. Under Reading email, click Content from third-party networks.
  5. Under Showing public content, choose Don't show public content from third-party networks.
  6. Click Save.

Should you need further assistance, please feel free to post back.

Thank you.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-10-24T23:39:13+00:00

    Hi Tomas,

    Welcome to Microsoft Community. Let us assist you in solving your issue with the gray bar that appears in the right hand corner of your Outlook.com Inbox page.

    We would need you to provide us a screenshot of your Outlook.com Inbox page for us to investigate the issue. I created a private message area where you could upload the screenshot.

    Note: To view the secure private section, you'll need to be signed in and click on the notification (which can be found at the top of the thread) that states "You have a private reply to this message. Click here to read it on our secure private message section.” or by clicking the "Private Messages" tab.

    We look forward to your response.

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-10-24T11:28:53+00:00

    Hi @Melanie_D.

    I have the same issue with the grey sidebar in that it shows no content but is still visible. It means I can't have my reading pane on the right hand side without some of the email being blocked forcing me to sidescroll, which just doesn't fit well.

    I'm not sure if you can help me with this?

    Thank you.

    Tomas

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-08-13T18:46:43+00:00

    Hi JohnBertin,

    Welcome to Microsoft Community.

    I understand that you too are having an issue with a gray bar that you have on your account. Allow me to investigate it.

    Since the issue persisted even after following the suggestion provided by the previous moderator, please provide us the following information to further review the issue:

    • Affected email account
    • Screenshot of the issue.

    Please post these details in the private message area I have for you. To view it, please sign in using a Microsoft account and click Private Messages tab across All Replies.

    If you have any questions and clarifications, please let us know.

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-08-11T15:24:04+00:00

    Doesn't work!

    Gray bar still there after clicking "Don't show..." and save.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments