Can't access Outlook.com with Microsoft account with @cornell.edu email address

Anonymous
2012-10-29T18:45:38+00:00

I've had a Passport / Live Id / Microsoft account for many, many years.  I have all my Microsoft-related context associated with this account, including a Windows Phone.  This account's main email address is an @cornell.edu email address.

Some time ago, I went to Outlook.com with this live id and created a bunch of email aliases, thinking that I might switch my primary email address to an @outlook.com one at some point in time.

Recently, I've been unable to access Outlook.com.  I get the following error:

This account can't be used to access Outlook.com

You're currently signed in with an Office 365 email account, which can't be used with Outlook.com. Please clickhereto sign out of your Office 365 account, then use another Microsoft account to sign in to Outlook.com (for example, your hotmail.com, live.com, or msn.com account).

I have no relationship to Office365.  However, I suspect that the cause is that the actual Cornell U recently signed up for that service for its email domain, and for some bizarre reason that rendered my own (alumni) cornell.edu account unusable with Outlook.com.

I'm also unable to access my Contacts through the web (I see the same error).  My WP7 devices and Win8 desktop can still use Live contacts, so I assume the API still works.  It's a weird mess.

One of the solutions I considered doing was to switch my live id to my outlook.com alias.  However, since I'm now unable to access the Outlook.com interface, I'm unsure as to how to do that.  If I go to https://account.live.com/ChangeId.aspx, the only domain options I get are live.com and hotmail.com.  If I enter an outlook.com alias as a "different address", it says:

You can't use @outlook.com in your Microsoft account email address. Please try a different email address.

Suggestions?

Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Account management, security, and privacy

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-02-02T00:06:22+00:00

    Hi mfeingol,

    Our Support Specialists are still investigating your account regarding your issue. Once we receive any updates from them we will post it to this thread for us to inform you.

    Regarding renaming of account, yes, it is currently not available. The Engineering team is aware of the problem and working to fix it. At this time, we don’t have a date when the feature will be restored.

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-02-01T00:14:03+00:00

    Hi mfeingol,

     

    I have replied to the Private Message tab. Kindly check out the post I created.

     

    Thanks!

    > I have re-escalated your issue to our Experts.

    Ma. Jhella_F:

    Thanks for that.  Do you have any updates on the issue?

    I should note that I was about to change my email address to something else, when I realized that it was no longer an option.  cf http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windowslive/forum/liveid-signin/why-cant-i-change-my-microsoft-account-email/6494c1e5-1ef7-43bf-9668-8bb50ecf3e78

    Pretty amazing.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-01-29T14:22:46+00:00

    Hi mfeingol,

    I have replied to the Private Message tab. Kindly check out the post I created.

    Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-01-16T00:25:59+00:00

    Hi mfeingol,

    I have a private message for you. Please refer on your private message area for an update regarding your issue.

    Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-01-12T00:00:21+00:00

    Hi mfeingol,

    I have escalated your issue to our Product Experts. Please check here in Answers Forum from time to time for updates regarding this issue.

    Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments