Outlook for Mac keeps asking for password on exchange.

Anonymous
2011-10-25T23:41:47+00:00

Using outlook for Mac 2011 on exchange.  Several note that they are constantly being asked formtheir password when it is stored in keychain.  Outlook will not except the password, even though it is correct.  Web mail is fine and virtual machine in windows with outlook 2010 is fine.  Office is updated to latest version.  I have been getting complaints at an average of 2 new a day.  Help please!

Outlook | MacOS | Legacy Outlook for Mac | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-12-08T22:01:37+00:00

not sure why this solution is not being spread around more. But to fix this issue, what you have to do it add a "" before your username. for example:

Username: \domain\username

Password: whatever your password is

Make sure you save to your keychain after. This has worked for me. I'm not sure where I found this, but it was a lifesaver. Hope it helps for you!

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-10-27T20:03:27+00:00

The suggestion by Vladimir was about certificates.

I’ve seen this problem numerous times with corrupted Keychain entries.

Outlook stores the password in the Keychain. Launch the /Applications/Utilities/Keychain Access and look for the corresponding entry.

The easiest from there is to delete it (which will allow Outlook to recreate a clean new one next time).

You can also run the Keychain First Aid command from within the application to try and correct any other issue your keychain might have.

Corentin

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-10-24T08:13:06+00:00

    Still, after many years, this bug seems not to be eliminated entirely.

    I am using Office 365 on two Macs. I am not in an Exchange environment.

    Two gmail accounts and a handful of one other provider.

    Mostly after a restart, I have to enter one or two passwords again. Sometimes also out of the blue. And not always of the same account.

    Office is the only application with this behaviour. 

    It's about time MS repairs this bug.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-10-11T13:15:44+00:00

    After trying with no success all recommended actions (cancelling all keychain keys), I WAS FINALLY ABLE TO FIX THE ISSUE!!!

    my email is "name.surname" @... and by using these credentials I had reported issue.

    as my old company credentials were "name_surname", I inserted "name_surname" @ ... (which is NOT my email address) and usual password.

    Issue fixed!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-10-29T12:15:08+00:00

    LISTEN UP! I have spent 7 months trying to figure this out and have FINALLY DID IT!

    Open Outlook, go to Tools, go to Accounts, choose the AT&T email account, click the Advanced tab at bottom right, now UNCHECK "Sync all IMAP folders".

    Quit Outlook and then restart. PROBLEM SOLVED!

    The problem is that the sync function keeps hitting the AT&T servers causing the password error.

    YOU ARE THE MAN !!! Works on all my IMAP accounts !!!! thanks a lot

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments