Outlook for Mac keeps asking for password on exchange.

Anonymous
2011-10-25T23:41:47+00:00

Using outlook for Mac 2011 on exchange.  Several note that they are constantly being asked formtheir password when it is stored in keychain.  Outlook will not except the password, even though it is correct.  Web mail is fine and virtual machine in windows with outlook 2010 is fine.  Office is updated to latest version.  I have been getting complaints at an average of 2 new a day.  Help please!

Outlook | MacOS | Legacy Outlook for Mac | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-12-08T22:01:37+00:00

not sure why this solution is not being spread around more. But to fix this issue, what you have to do it add a "" before your username. for example:

Username: \domain\username

Password: whatever your password is

Make sure you save to your keychain after. This has worked for me. I'm not sure where I found this, but it was a lifesaver. Hope it helps for you!

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-10-27T20:03:27+00:00

The suggestion by Vladimir was about certificates.

I’ve seen this problem numerous times with corrupted Keychain entries.

Outlook stores the password in the Keychain. Launch the /Applications/Utilities/Keychain Access and look for the corresponding entry.

The easiest from there is to delete it (which will allow Outlook to recreate a clean new one next time).

You can also run the Keychain First Aid command from within the application to try and correct any other issue your keychain might have.

Corentin

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-01-17T08:59:45+00:00

    This is such an annoying problem and I found other solutions are only a temporary fix! After much frustration I think I have found a solution.

    • On your mac, make sure all the windows are closed including Outlook
    • search in the Spotlight Search "Keychain Access" and press enter
    • Once the keychain has popped up in the finder type in the search box "exchange"
    • Select and delete all the files under "exchange".
    • Once you have deleted all the files under exchange, type "ADAL" in the finder search box
    • select and delete all the files under "ADAL".
    • reopen outlook and type in your credentials one last time. Wait for everything to load, shut down outlook again to double check that it has worked (the credentials box shouldn't pop up again).

    If the problem happens again just repeat the process. I hope this helps guys! Goodluck.

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-02-13T09:11:16+00:00

    I am using Google IMAP services with my email address, it is acting like exchange, how shall I enter my username in this case?

    my settings was as below;

    Username: ******@xyz.com

    Password: whatever your password is

    I tried your suggestion as below but it did not solve;

    Username: \xyz.com\username

    Password: whatever your password is

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Jim G 134.1K Reputation points MVP
    2011-12-11T03:00:14+00:00

    I believe it does. For example:

    \AD\username

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments