Outlook/Hotmail keeps saying password is wrong or cannot connect to pop3.live.com on iPhone

Anonymous
2013-11-12T14:21:10+00:00

This morning my iPhone stopped communicating with Outlook/Hotmail.  I was receiving emails but my replies would not send.  It says "Cannot Get Mail The user name or password for "Hotmail" is incorrect" and then when I hit OK it says cannot connect to pop3.live.com.  The password is correct and works on a web browser just fine - even through Safari on the iPhone.  Why won't it work for a Mail setting?

Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Account management, security, and privacy

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-06-20T08:54:58+00:00

I had similar issue faced with my iphone6 mail app, displaying "Cannot Get Mail". After a couple of troubleshooting, the final solution to this error message was due to "Two Way Verification" from your personnel Password and Security Settings. Hence, log in to your own account and switch off the two way verifcation to allow the smartphone mail app to retrieve mails directly through a single password. 

Hope this helps everyone out there. Nothing wrong with IOS8.3....

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-11-17T07:40:53+00:00

Hi CaseyKio,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and sorry for the delayed response. I understand that your account no longer works on your iPhone device.

This happens when your account went out of sync with the phone, or the mail server settings were not configured properly.

You can resolve this by removing and re-adding your account from the phone. Check out this link for the steps: Mobile Outlook.com.

Also, ensure that the mail server settings are properly configured. Refer to this link for the values: Send and receive Hotmail from an email app.

If issue persists, please provide your affected email address on the private message I've created. Make sure that you are signed in here to view the message.

Let us know how things turn out!

Thank you.

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-11-22T17:17:30+00:00

    Hi, this has happened to me, I have tried deleting the email but still does it and it also does it on my Sony phone. I know the password is right as I downloaded the outlook app and it works with that??

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-12-31T16:03:33+00:00

    Hi CaseyKio,

    I am having the exact same problem however I have already done the your suggestion on removing and readding the email address to my phone. I did several times, and I kept changing my password on the browser just to make sure it works, It did, because when I want to change my password and asked to type my current password before creating the new one, I realized that the password which didnt work on my phone and on my outlook, was working on the browser. The last thing I am doing right now is, am just installing the update on my phone and just completed. I am now going to re try adding my email account to see if it will be added. Can you please tell us is there any other steps I can take to resolve this otherwise I am now going to call my service provider , Many thanks and Happy New Year!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments