Outlook/Hotmail keeps saying password is wrong or cannot connect to pop3.live.com on iPhone

Anonymous
2013-11-12T14:21:10+00:00

This morning my iPhone stopped communicating with Outlook/Hotmail.  I was receiving emails but my replies would not send.  It says "Cannot Get Mail The user name or password for "Hotmail" is incorrect" and then when I hit OK it says cannot connect to pop3.live.com.  The password is correct and works on a web browser just fine - even through Safari on the iPhone.  Why won't it work for a Mail setting?

Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Account management, security, and privacy

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-06-20T08:54:58+00:00

I had similar issue faced with my iphone6 mail app, displaying "Cannot Get Mail". After a couple of troubleshooting, the final solution to this error message was due to "Two Way Verification" from your personnel Password and Security Settings. Hence, log in to your own account and switch off the two way verifcation to allow the smartphone mail app to retrieve mails directly through a single password. 

Hope this helps everyone out there. Nothing wrong with IOS8.3....

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-11-17T07:40:53+00:00

Hi CaseyKio,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and sorry for the delayed response. I understand that your account no longer works on your iPhone device.

This happens when your account went out of sync with the phone, or the mail server settings were not configured properly.

You can resolve this by removing and re-adding your account from the phone. Check out this link for the steps: Mobile Outlook.com.

Also, ensure that the mail server settings are properly configured. Refer to this link for the values: Send and receive Hotmail from an email app.

If issue persists, please provide your affected email address on the private message I've created. Make sure that you are signed in here to view the message.

Let us know how things turn out!

Thank you.

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-11-21T14:03:14+00:00

    Can open on laptop but need my hotmail emails on my  iPhone, my username and password are correct , what can I do

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-11-19T17:06:17+00:00

    I am having this problem too. Didn't realise it yesterday as I had used my laptop to check my email, but apparently I started to not being able to receive emails on Friday. I am using the built it app Email from the phone, everything was fine and I did not change any password or set up the 2 step verification sign in, it just keep saying 'Username or password incorrect' when I refreshed to get my mail.

    Spent the whole evening going nuts, trying out all kinds of stuffs from here and there, even changed my password, turn on and off the 2 step verification sign in, deleted the email account from the app to try and see whether I could re-set it up, but nothing works. It just doesn't work using the app anymore, I tried with another email account that I had used previously, it was fine, only having problem with this one that I am currently using.

    Is there any other way(s) to solve this?? It's really annoying to have to use a web browser to sign in all the time to receive and send mail, not to mention time consuming too.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments