How do I set my time zone in outlook.com?

Anonymous
2013-04-10T00:52:43+00:00

I used Hotmail for years, and still have Windows Live Mail on my laptop.  Tonight I logged into outlook.com with my hotmail account and saw that the time is out by one hour.  Saskatchewan does not have daylight savings time.  How do I correct the time in outlook.com?  

Note: I am running Windows 7 and my Windows clock at the bottom right of the task bar is correct.

Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-04-11T02:02:09+00:00

Hi,

I am happy to help you with your concern. I understand that you want to change the Timezone of your account.

Usually, the time zone is automatically set after you have created your account and added your country detail. For some isolated cases you will need to change it manually to correct the time and date on the received emails.

  1. Go to this link: https://account.live.com
  2. Under "Overview", click Edit personal info.
  3. Under "Personal info", click the down arrow under the "Time zone" and then choose your preferred time zone.

If you have further clarifications, feel free to post back anytime.

Thanks!

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-07-24T13:43:02+00:00

I used Hotmail for years, and still have Windows Live Mail on my laptop.  Tonight I logged into outlook.com with my hotmail account and saw that the time is out by one hour.  Saskatchewan does not have daylight savings time.  How do I correct the time in outlook.com?  

Note: I am running Windows 7 and my Windows clock at the bottom right of the task bar is correct.

Hello Everyone,

I want to let you know this issue has been recognized by the Outlook.com team. I have been informed they will attempt to resolve the issue in the next update to Outlook.com. I am unable to provide an exact date but I have been assured it is being worked on.

I appreciate everyone sending this up to us!

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

39 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-07-08T13:19:16+00:00

    ...

    Thank you for getting back. We apologize to know that the previous steps provided didn't fix your issue.

    We could try the steps below to change the clock's time and time zone in your computer.

    ...

    Hi, Edgar. Please note that this issue has NOTHING to do with the computer. Nor does it change with the type of browser. This time zone issue is in outlook.com and with live calendar, and is all a server-side issue.

    You can easily simulate this problem yourself if you're keen on understanding and pursuing fixing it. Go into outlook.com and change your country to Canada, province to Saskatchewan, and choose Regina (CST) from the time zone selections. Then have an email sent to that outlook.com account, and compare the displayed received time against any time lookup service on the Internet for Saskatchewan (or Regina). You'll see the time is an hour out. This will be the case until we "fall back" in daylight savings time in the fall - where the time will now line up. Note that Saskatchewan does not use daylight savings time. But outlook.com (or live calendar) does not take that into account.

    As a side note, this time zone setting and recognition of no DST is handled properly on desktop machines - but, once again, there is no relationship between the two platforms and this issue.

    This problem is identified in other threads on this answers site with no resolution there (plus, there's an attempt to correct it as a desktop issue in those other threads as well - just like you had attempted). For example, here's another thread on the issue:

    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum/oemail-osend/how-do-i-change-the-time-on-my-outlook-when-emails/5c6bc4d5-9859-41cc-92dc-20cdc13b8927

    This is a very frustrating problem to get anyone at Microsoft to understand, attempt to duplicate, and to take seriously. It's reproducible and consistent, but no one seems to want to reproduce and resolve it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-07-08T07:30:23+00:00

    Hi Terry ,

    Thank you for getting back. We apologize to know that the previous steps provided didn't fix your issue.

    We could try the steps below to change the clock's time and time zone in your computer.

    1. Open Date and Time by clicking the Start button, click the Control Panel, click Clock, Language, and Region, and then clicking Date and Time.                 
    2. Click the Date and Time tab, and then click Change date and time. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    3. In the Date and Time Settings dialog box, do one or more of the following:
    • To change the hour, double-click the hour, and then click the arrows to increase or decrease the value.
    • To change the minutes, double-click the minutes, and then click the arrows to increase or decrease the value.
    • To change the seconds, double-click the seconds, and then click the arrows to increase or decrease the value.
    1. When you have finished changing the time settings, click OK.
    2. To change the time zone, click Change time zone.
    3. In the Time Zone Settings dialog box, click your current time zone in the drop-down list, and then click OK.

    Note: If your time zone observes daylight saving time and you want your computer's clock to be adjusted automatically when daylight saving time changes, make sure the Automatically adjust clock for Daylight Saving Time check box is selected.

    1. Click OK.

    If there's anything else that I can help you with, please do not hesitate to reply here and we will further assist you. We'd love to hear from you again.

    Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-07-08T02:44:28+00:00

    Hi, Indraneel. Thanks for taking the time to try and figure out a solution, and to post it.

    I tried the steps you recommended. Unfortunately, no joy. When I send an email to my outlook.com account it displays the wrong time of arrival for that email - even though the time zones in the calendar options, outlook options, and Microsoft account are all set to the correct time zone.

    I've got a support issue on this I'm working through with Microsoft right now over the last couple of months. Hopefully we resolve it before fall and the daylight savings flips out - and the issue temporarily goes away again for six months...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments