Microsoft Says Someone Changed My Profile Information

Anonymous
2014-03-09T09:44:08+00:00

I just received the following email (I have asterisked-out my email address):

From: Microsoft account team (*****@account.microsoft.com)*

Sent: Sun 3/09/14 4:45 AM

To: ****@hotmail.com

Microsoft account

Your profile info changed

Profile info such as your name, birth date, or country/region was changed on the Microsoft account ****@hotmail.com.

If this was you, then you can safely ignore this email.

If this wasn't you, a malicious user has your password. Please review your recent activity and we'll help you take corrective action.

Review recent activity

To opt out or change where you receive security notifications, click here.

Thanks,

The Microsoft account team

Is this a legit email? from Microsoft or Phishing?

Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Account management, security, and privacy

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-07-18T14:30:17+00:00

    Hello everyone,

    Welcome to Microsoft Community.

    We understand your account security concern. Since the nature of the issue may contain personal or sensitive information of your account that can't be discussed in the forum, I suggest that this be addressed through a secured environment for your privacy and ease of access to our moderator's reply.

    You can visit this article for additional information on how you can protect your account and to get additional help from Microsoft team.

    In addition, you can also submit a new support request through this link to get in touch with the Microsoft team privately.

    Let us know if you have additional concerns.

    Thanks,

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-07-18T13:33:57+00:00

    Yes, they are indeed very annoying. To me, they just stoped someday without any aprently reasson so i guess it was some kind of bug that gets triggered by some actions. In my case was the X-notifier but after turning it off for some days, I keep receiving these emails but a lot less so I enabled again that addon. At some point they stoped.

    So if someone is getting these emails, first log from a clean device like a computer just formated or one that you know for sure that is out of virus or you can use even your phone. Then change the password for a very secured one and add more scurity options. I even added that authentificator app. If the emails still coming and you can see clearly that they comes from Microsoft and that certainly there is no change in your profile, just dont worry and let it go. It will stop at some point.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-07-18T13:23:23+00:00

    I stumbled on this page after getting one of these "Microsoft account Your profile info changed" emails, and wondering like the rest of you "WTF"? I was able to track down the sequence of events that caused it, and sure enough, it's really from Microsoft, and it's really bogus. Ie: a bug in their system is issuing these emails. I'm not saying all such emails are bogus, by mine certainly was.

    In my case I happened to be looking at this stackoverflow post here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/938987/getting-all-static-interned-strings-from-a-net-assembly-dll  in which helpful user vladob posted a link ("simple utility") to a file on skydrive.  I clicked on that, though did not download the file...  and continued with other work and browsing.

    Some time later, of course no longer having skydrive on my mind, I see in my inbox "Microsoft account profile info changed"... the warning email in question. Of course I was alarmed, and spent the next while first suspiciously the email, logging in after manually typing the URL, changing the password and so on. I didn't notice that any profile info had changed, but thought maybe MS had backed out any changes when I indicated that it wasn't me that had recently "logged in".

    Only later did I realize that the time of the email, and the time shown in Live's "Recent Activity" list for the supposed profile change, EXACTLY correspond to the time of visiting skydrive, as shown in my browser history.

    I'm guessing that despite my not logging in to Live for probably months, when I did visit skydrive today it was able to read a cookie, detect that I had an account, and that triggered some chain of events that marked my profile as "changed", despite there not actually being any change, and my not actually logging in.

    So, this laid to rest considerable anxiety that was provoked by this episode -- "who has managed to get my password" etc.   Thank you very much Microsoft for a false alarm and for wasting my time.

    So I thought I'd at least recount this tale to prompt other unfortunates to consider causes like this, and to maybe prompt MS to fix this stupid problem.

    -- Graham

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-04-29T13:58:58+00:00

    Same here. IP adress: Removed PII which seems to be Microsoft IP

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-04-20T03:59:58+00:00

    I got this email again.  This time from IP: Removed PII

    Checking that IP it seems to come from Hotmail according to IP look up sites.

    It would be good to know if this is something expected because it is not going to be viable for me to change my password every few days.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments