Microsoft Says Someone Changed My Profile Information

Anonymous
2014-03-09T09:44:08+00:00

I just received the following email (I have asterisked-out my email address):

From: Microsoft account team (*****@account.microsoft.com)*

Sent: Sun 3/09/14 4:45 AM

To: ****@hotmail.com

Microsoft account

Your profile info changed

Profile info such as your name, birth date, or country/region was changed on the Microsoft account ****@hotmail.com.

If this was you, then you can safely ignore this email.

If this wasn't you, a malicious user has your password. Please review your recent activity and we'll help you take corrective action.

Review recent activity

To opt out or change where you receive security notifications, click here.

Thanks,

The Microsoft account team

Is this a legit email? from Microsoft or Phishing?

Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Account management, security, and privacy

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-08-19T03:43:25+00:00

    Hi Bigbrotherbp,

    Welcome to Microsoft Community. We understand your concern about the security of your account and we will assist you.

    As mentioned on this thread, the Outlook.com Community is a good place to find answers to many of your how-to questions and get advice from other users and community members.  However, questions regarding your Microsoft account are not best handled in a public forum due to the personal information involved.  To learn more about how to get help with verifying your account, click here or here.

    If you have questions please let us know. Your cooperation and understanding is highly appreciated.

    Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-08-19T03:19:07+00:00

    Hey,

    This morning I also received an email from Microsoft notifying about "Profile info changed". Then I went on to check recent activities and saw one which was not me with this IP address Removed PII. I'm wondering if it's also Microsoft's?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-08-18T15:35:35+00:00

    Hi SteveM26,

    I'm glad to help you with this.

    It seems that you're still getting some spam/phishing emails to your account. Am I right? To give you the basic information on how to prevent from receiving this, you can check the following article below:

    How to recognize if the email I have received is genuine or spam/ phishing?

    How do I report Abuse or Spam in Hotmail?

    However, if you feel that your account is hacked, we advise that you check and clean your computer from malware/spyware, then change your password and update your account credentials. 

    For us to further investigate your account again, please use this link. This is way, we ask other personal information like the affected account without posting here in public forum.

    Hopefully this will resolve the issue. If not, please let us know so we can assist you further.

    Thanks,

    Christina

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-08-18T13:49:28+00:00

    Hello everyone,

    Welcome to Microsoft Community.

    We understand your account security concern. Since the nature of the issue may contain personal or sensitive information of your account that can't be discussed in the forum, I suggest that this be addressed through a secured environment for your privacy and ease of access to our moderator's reply.

    You can visit this article for additional information on how you can protect your account and to get additional help from Microsoft team.

    In addition, you can also submit a new support request through this link to get in touch with the Microsoft team privately.

    Let us know if you have additional concerns.

    Thanks,

    This is a lame response. I am getting these emails three times a day on average. You have a bug somewhere Microsoft. It's best not to waste our time with the banal suggestions.

    I have to agree.  Especially as I got in touch with Microsoft privately as suggested and the response was basically "there is nothing wrong, don't worry about it no one is really accessing your account.  Have a great day!".  I responded to say OK but why am I getting these emails every day - it is somewhat concerning.  My feeling is that it could indicate some kind of internal security issue and it does need to be investigated.

    I am certain it's not something us users are doing, it is a server-side issue that seems to be internal to Microsoft's network.  All the IPs originate from their network.

    I don't think there is a huge panic to be had, since it looks like no actual changes are being made and if it was malicious, we'd likely see signs of that.  Nonetheless, something is triggering these security alerts, and I would like to know exactly what it is.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-08-16T06:56:20+00:00

    Hello everyone,

    Welcome to Microsoft Community.

    We understand your account security concern. Since the nature of the issue may contain personal or sensitive information of your account that can't be discussed in the forum, I suggest that this be addressed through a secured environment for your privacy and ease of access to our moderator's reply.

    You can visit this article for additional information on how you can protect your account and to get additional help from Microsoft team.

    In addition, you can also submit a new support request through this link to get in touch with the Microsoft team privately.

    Let us know if you have additional concerns.

    Thanks,

    This is a lame response. I am getting these emails three times a day on average. You have a bug somewhere Microsoft. It's best not to waste our time with the banal suggestions.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments