Microsoft Says Someone Changed My Profile Information

Anonymous
2014-03-09T09:44:08+00:00

I just received the following email (I have asterisked-out my email address):

From: Microsoft account team (*****@account.microsoft.com)*

Sent: Sun 3/09/14 4:45 AM

To: ****@hotmail.com

Microsoft account

Your profile info changed

Profile info such as your name, birth date, or country/region was changed on the Microsoft account ****@hotmail.com.

If this was you, then you can safely ignore this email.

If this wasn't you, a malicious user has your password. Please review your recent activity and we'll help you take corrective action.

Review recent activity

To opt out or change where you receive security notifications, click here.

Thanks,

The Microsoft account team

Is this a legit email? from Microsoft or Phishing?

Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Account management, security, and privacy

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-03-11T23:15:26+00:00

    Hi all guys & worried posters.

    These IPs belong all to "Microsoft bingbot" Address-range.

    It's lovely to see them now hunting also in other countries. This info does not go to Bing Search - it goes to US Govt 'Statistical Purposes', that's listed elsewhere and the level of using it is pretty free. Terrorists of today there in CIA, Mossad & co are needing work. You are wanted again, this time not by Uncle Sam, mostly by your 'voted ones' and their owners.

    MS is (sadly so) forced to do these - as is Google on their side. Welcome to today. Where did you want to go today .... :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-04-09T11:31:06+00:00

    im also wondering. and i was hacked recently, so im wondering even more....

    i wish someone official would respond

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-04-09T12:55:46+00:00

    Ok guys, seems that wont get any official reply so we should start searching the cause by ourself.

    I highly doubt that we are hacked to be honest and those IPs always points to Microsoft Live servers. Also, even receiving these emails, we can see that (at least in my case) no info is really being changed on my profile.

    But I do found few things that I would like to share so we can find a common factor that may produce this.

    First of all, I use Google Chrome and I also access to my email accounts from my Android phone using the Dolphin browser and not the Outlook app. Someone have something in common with this?

    I also use a Chrome extension called "X-notifier" which basically checks the email in time that you setup. It works with multiple accounts so is quite handy. Why I mention this? Well, sometimes when I just open Chrome or after I do a manual check of these emails, I can see how just few seconds after it I get one of those emails from Microsoft about profile changes. Coincidence? I am sure that isnt coincidence. This could be as the way of the scripts accesing the email accounts or (in the worst case) that addon is really some kind of malware which I hope isnt as I always though that Chrome extensions have some quality checkbefore being published just like Firefox ones.

    So guys, come again to this thread and lets share some info to see from where this can come.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-04-01T23:23:10+00:00

    Same here, I noticed that it happens sometimes just after I check the email. Happens in both, desktop and phone so I doubt is any virus at all and the IP always point to Microsoft Hotmail.

    The emails seems legit but I am not sure wether this is some kind of "bug" or what?

    I would like to get some more info about this please. Someone from Microsoft should come here and bring a bit of light. This didnt happend before but lately is happening a lot even in others hotmail accounts. Isnt happening on my outlook and live accounts tho (not sure if this have something to do).

    One of the IPs shown is this one "Removed PII".

    Is a trusted IP and this notice is just for some maintenance or something similar by Hotmail team or is really a dangerous IP?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-03-20T05:41:42+00:00

    I received the same email too.

    Recent activity describe access from following IP address.

    Is this access from Microsoft ?

    Why access If correct.

    IP address

    65.55.142.203

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments